Mobile dongle for 3g tabletSupport

Last Updated: 2011-10-27 15:40:38
  1. Jaymie1989

Jaymie1989 Active Member

Hi, I have the Acer a500 as it doesn't have 3g I was wondering if I could use a dongle in the USB for a 3g internet connection for when I am out and about?

Advertisement
  2. splatoid

splatoid Well-Known Member

What do you want to hook the tablet to. I use a wireless teather on my droid call phone and my Acer connects very easly and works great. You do have to root your phone to do this.
  3. cybergeek

cybergeek Member

What if you don't have a phone that u can tether to is it possible to connect t a dongle
  4. Jaymie1989

Jaymie1989 Active Member

First, Were talking about a tablet not a phone and the last thing I want to do is root it.

I want to use a 3G Connection for when I am out and about for a internet connection. Via Dongle (Mobile Broadband)
  5. mrcaptain

mrcaptain Well-Known Member

If you have to install a driver for the dongle to work, then it definitely won't work.
    I can't answer if it will work if you don't need to install a driver though.
  6. Jaymie1989

Jaymie1989 Active Member

What about Mifi?
  7. splatoid

splatoid Well-Known Member

8. longtimerider

longtimerider New Member

Hi, I am a real noob at this android thing. I have recently gotten an ACER A500 and it sugggested that I can use the usb if if i install the usb driver. I have downloaded and unzipped the usb driver file (from the ACER website), but how do i get it to RUN/install?
    Do I actually need to do this? Will the Update that it wants to do fix this issue?

Any response will be appreciated!
  9. c-eling

c-eling Member

huh thats odd,i got mine about a month ago with 3.1 preinstalled and the usb worked right out of the box,no probs at all
  10. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member

If you want to use the USB port to connect thumbdrives or keyboards then you don't need to do anything to your A500, although the thumbdrive must be formatted with the FAT32 file system for the A500 to read it and you will need a file manager to find the files on the thumbdrive (it won't show up like in windows).

The USB driver needs to be installed on your PC if you want to connect your A500 to your PC with the mini USB port to access the A500's files from your PC.
  11. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member

A mobile 3G wifi hotspot will work fine. Isn't there an OTA update to Froyo (android 2.2) available for your HTC Wildfire? Then you can use it as a mobile wifi hotspot.

3G USB modems will not work with the stock A500. Apparently they can be made to work, but you need root and Android 3.0. The best guide that I have found for getting 3G USB modems to work is here
    3G usb dongle support on your A500
    But I haven't tried it myself.
  12. VivaLaDroid

VivaLaDroid Member

When I first got my Acer I thought about a USB internet dongle as well...then looking at the location of the USB port I realized that it will be in the way....my solution was to go with a mobile hot spot. Its a small rechargable wifi device the size of a mouse. $45 a month for unlimited 4G internet service..... no contract required. Also, you can connect up to 8 wifi devices...phone, laptop, tablet, etc
  13. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Here in the UK I use mifi from 3 mobile and it is brilliant.
    super fast and so easy to use.
  14. JohnHellis

JohnHellis Member

Hi

your Acer tablet should work with most USB dongles "out of the box".

I use a T-Mobile dongle in the UK on a Chinese tablet running Gingerbread and it works just fine.

Incidentally, T-Mobile do a Pay by the Day contract that is great for casual use when away from home.

John
  15. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't work with my vodafone dongle, which requires windows software to connect normally. I never expected this but I was curious so I gave it a test just to see.

It does work fine with my three mifi and home wifi.