• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Gaming

guitarskoota

Oct 29, 2009
I am debating on getting a smart phone for the first time. I avoided it before because I didn't feel like paying $30 more a month, when all I really used my phone for before was calls and texts. I was always around computers whether at work or home. And I never used much facebook or twitter or anything. But I am changing jobs soon, and might get more use out of it now.

I have always enjoyed playing my DS and PSP, and everyone says mobiles are the future of portable gaming. I don't really know much about them and nothing about gaming on them. I think gaming would be a big draw for me, as I enjoy portables, and also some psx and snes emulators would rock too. I was debating on getting the Galaxy Nexus coming out in a few weeks, with some black friday sales, but now I see that NVidia is releasing Tegra 3 GPU possibly next spring. They are saying it is on par with PS Vita. The tech demos I have seen are insane. I fear if I lock myself into a 2 year contract, when such a huge leap in graphics tech is just around the corner, I may kick myself if I buy a phone now. And I always seem to miss the "next big leap" by a few months whenever I renew. I got my last phone just before Droids came out.

So my question is do any of you that have some better knowledge, on the mobile gaming scene, and have any advice on what to wait for, etc? I like simple games like angry birds and shit, but some of these new graphics games like Shadowgun and Riptide HD seem like a lot of fun too for longer sessions, and I know current gen can play it, but it makes me wonder what Tegra 3 will be able to pull off, or if it is just a bunch of worthless hyped tech demos. Do you think this is gonna take off and have lots of next gen games?

NVIDIA Tegra 3 Gaming Performance and Demos - Project Kal-El - YouTube

I would wait for Tegra 3 device. Sometime within the 1st quarter of 2012 there will be phones and tablets with that chipset. If you've waited this long I would definetly hold out for it. There is a rumor that there is a HTC device with a quadcore tegra 3 chipset.

Now there is a small downside to waiting for it, a lot of games aren't going to be immediatly compatible with the new phone, so you'll have to wait till they start to trickle out updates to make them work with the new hardware, but when they do I'm sure they will look and play spectacularly.

Games like Shadowgun and upcoming Bladeslinger are going to be tailored for better perfomance on the Tegra 3.

An upside to waiting, you will be guaranteed ICS on a brand new device, so your OS will be top of the line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones