Mobile Hot Spot - Can Eris Do This?General

Last Updated:

1. bassplyr

bassplyr Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was with my partner in a meeting all day today and there was no wifi service. He has a new Palm Pre and he and I both were able to connect to the internet via the mobile hot spot on his Palm. Pretty good speed too. Came in handy, would be nice if Eris could do this too. Is there an app for that? Thanks, Roger

Advertisement
  2. mooneyb

mooneyb Member

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Rooted peeps get all the cool apps. But maybe, just maybe if the Eris gets 2.2, we might get that feature built-in.

4. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

Just install PDAnet for yourself. No one else can run off it but you will have internet whereever you go..Well as long as your phone has service..

5. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

ROOT!!!!!!
    Dont let some stinkin Palm pre show up the eris. ROOT!!!

6. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

^^ +5!!!

7. bassplyr

bassplyr Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but not interested in rooting but you'vs got to admit, the mobile hotspot is a pretty cool feature. Not cool enough to make me change from my Eris.

Roger

8. jdegreif

jdegreif Member

I can tell you that wireless tether is very cool, my phone is rooted, as I use it all the time. It would definitely be a great feature to have included.

9. DanMarg

DanMarg Member

I rooted just for this feature. Way cool.

10. lance-tek

lance-tek Well-Known Member

I know you can use a 3G Wireless Router to share your signal from your 3G modem with others as well... Does anyone know if there is a way to hook your phone into this (by data cable) and have the same effect? It seems completely feasible to me but I am not sure as I have not tried it yet.

Thanks,

-lance

11. ithejdi

ithejdi Well-Known Member

They have said the Tether option built into 2.2 can be disabled by the provider. ie Verizon. Which they most certainly will IF 2.2 ever comes to Eris. Root it....

12. RoxasTheNobody

RoxasTheNobody New Member

I think its the new Droid X, but it has a mobile hotspot like the pixie. I want one for the Eris so I could use the WiFi from my phone for my laptop. That would be the shit.:D

13. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

I found this interesting. Maybe I just missed the point, but a rooted Eris is still an Eris. Also consider that there are viable working options to go back from root to complete stock.

14. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

Rooting your Eris will definitely give you the ability to use your phone as a mobile hot spot (tether). I am running xtrSense and have the option to tether either wired or wireless. Look around in the All Things Root forum here and see what else you can find out about it.

15. SBCT

SBCT Well-Known Member

I always make my wife say "apple sucks" before I turn on my wireless tether on my rooted eris so that she can connect to the internet via LAN on her iPhone! Although its really an AT+T problem, I seize the opportunity to bash on the apple parade!

16. KiWiLiT43

KiWiLiT43 Active Member

+1

17. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

priceless. You should make her jailbreak over an android tether for the ultimate shame.

18. ErisLove

ErisLove Well-Known Member

yep wireless tethering works great

i use ot for my laptop all the time and it moves fast

19. Acton_Minuteman

Acton_Minuteman New Member

My Verizon Droid Eris is now rooted and running KaosFroyo V35-1.

Whenever someone asks about Mobile Hotspots, the bandwagon reply is sure it can be done. A generic link the the Android Wifi Tether webpage is supplied.

I see many different phone types listed but I do not see the DROID Eris phone listed.

Several questions:

1) What specific download package works with the HTC Droid Eris?

2) Does this package work work with Froyo 2.2?

3) Do you personally have a HTC Droid Eris, running what specific flashed OS version and what specific wifi-tether package?

Thanks.

20. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

I personally have an HTC Droid Eris, rooted, running Aloysius Snow (a 2.1 ROM). It has wireless tether built in to the ROM (the app is called Wireless Tether for Root Users; I didn't have to download it, it was just there. :)). I used it just the other evening with my laptop when I was at a meeting with no wireless available. Worked like a charm (although it does suck the battery).

21. prj

prj Well-Known Member

Which one do you download from that link above? I didn't see Eris in the list.

22. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, then chances are a) your ROM already has "Wireless Tether for Root" built in, or b) you can download "Wireless Tether for Root" from the market, and it will be the correct version for your phone. No need to download it from the web.

23. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

I run xtrROM 4.2 and have wireless tether automatically built in. I use it to give my kids internet access on long car rides. It does heat up the phone, though. Access to this is one of the main reasons I rooted, but I have been extremely pleased with the results (faster phone, last bloatware, no more dialer lag, etc.)

24. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member

Wireless tethering is in the marketplace. Just search for wireless tethering. It's called wireless tethering for root. Once installed it just works.