• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hot Spot Idea for Daily Use FEE?

Just thought I'd bring this over from the EVO Shift forum. Wonder if we could entice Sprint to do this?

What I would like to see happen with the Mobile Hot Spot feature is a per use payment model. Since Sprint is charging $30 a month which most people (including me) do not want to pay, how about paying $1 for a 24 hour period? So, when I want to use it, I would enable it and pay $1 for each 24 hour period of use. I think doing it this way would make a lot of money for Sprint since it would get users who don't want to pay $30 a month by getting the casual user (like me) who would use it every now and then, and the user who doesn't want to root their phone and cheat the system.

How about it Sprint? Since I pay $1 for apps, I would pay Sprint $1 per day to use Hot Spot tethering as needed.

I like this idea!!! Let's start a petition for Sprint to do this!!! I would even pay up to $1.50 a day just to help Sprint. A daily billing should cost more than the monthly rate if people find that they are using more than the monthly rate then they can save money by doing the monthly rate.

Would become a nightmare from sprints side. Sprint would have to somehow would have to get the users permission to charge the dollar, then send out a signal to all 40,000 plus towers to allow the user to use the hotspot, then some how cut the user off after 24 hours. On top of that, during the 24 hours a person can pretty much trash the network with with bit torrent downloads.

Honestly, it would be a network nightmare, considering it would have to be able to push out any where in the united states and some how regulate and control something that can not be done properly now. Now it could be phone side and on the honor system, but that would not stop sprint from getting the network hammered during peak times.

The reason that it is 30 bucks is so people will think twice about getting it. If they abuse the system and work around the fee, they can be kicked off the network for not paying it. But to make the fee affordable to the normal user would have 100% of the wrong effect the carriers want.

To put it simply, carriers do not want you to hotspot, period, end of subject. If you are going to hotspot, they will to charge you to make the most profit off it. If you do it around their backs, they have a reason to kick you out. At no point does sprint want to make hotspot available on a daily basis, it would be a nightmare for the system.

Upvote 0
they do have something like that .. it is not a 2 yr contract.
you can cancel at anytime.. and start it at any time.

the problem is that you have to call them to cancel it each time.

if they did develop a per day charge... like anything else.. the shorter periods cost you more.
Example:
1 month = $30
1 week = 15
1 day = $3.99

this is Marketing to the right price points and demand

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones