• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile hot spot

atakin77

Apr 8, 2010
Good morning.... I'm having a problem with my mobile hot spot and hoping someone here can provide a little guidance. I'm on Verizon with the stock (non-rooted) hot spot which is a feature I pay for through VZW.

The other day I went to use the hotspot - turned it on and my phone immediately crashed and rebooted. Once that happened, my hot spot will no longer turn on. I've tried clearing the cache from the Mobile Hot Spot app but that did not work. Weird thing is physical tethering works, just not the hot spot.

Hoping someone here might have some ideas - I really don't want to do a data reset.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure.

I know you said you did a clear cache, but did you try a "clear data" for the Mobile Hotspot app in settings->apps? And I know that you said that the phone rebooted, but did you try manually restarting the phone? I've seen my phone do what I thought was a reboot, but looking in settings->about phone->status, the up time was clearly still from the last time that I turned the phone on.

Those are my first ideas, anyway. I suppose if this happened to me I might try disabling the app and then re-enabling it, just to see if that might help, before doing a factory data reset.

Reactions: atakin77
Upvote 0
Did you happen to switch to the ART runtime from Dalvik?

I guess the last thing I'd try is deleting all cache from settings->Storage (after the numbers populate hit "cache" and it will ask if you want to clear it all), then maybe try restarting to Recovery and wipe cache from there (I'm not sure what the difference between the settings->storage cache wipe and this is, but you never know...). Then I guess the factory data reset...

To wipe the cache from recovery, see these instructions from Motorola: https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/93895/p/30,6720,8697/kw/cache/action/auth

Reactions: atakin77
Upvote 0
Thanks for the additional reply. I tried clearing the cache through storage and that did not work. I then booted into recovery to try that as you suggested but I got a message saying "No Command" with a red triangle when the little android guy appears. I think something went sideways on the phone and am thinking I need to do a re-set.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones