Mobile Hotspot Does Not Allow 4G ConnectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Arbanak

Arbanak Member This Topic's Starter

I am having a strange problem with the Sprint mobile hotspot. When I am in a 4G area, my phone picks up and uses 4G with no problem. However, the instant I turn on the mobile hotspot, the 4G connection drops, and the phone reverts to 3G. The moment I turn off the hotspot, the phone goes back to 4G.

If I turn the hotspot on/off from the Wireless & networks settings page, I can see that the instant the hotspot finishes initializing, the 4G line goes to "disconnected." It then goes to scanning and then sits at "obtaining IP address" for several seconds, at which point it starts that cycle over again. It goes through this cycle repeatedly until I turn off the hotspot, never getting past the "obtaining IP address" stage.

I called Sprint tech support, and the best they came up with was to do a hard reset and see if that resolved the issue. Before I do that, I would like to see if anyone here has any idea what might cause this issue and how to resolve it short of a hard reset.

I am running the official OTA froyo OS version. The update was pushed out the day after I got my Evo, so I do not know if this issue existed in 2.1.

Advertisement
  2. Arbanak

I just did a hard reset on my phone, and am still having the same issue.

3. runwithscissors

runwithscissors Member

I'm having this same issue. I did a hard reset for something else and it didn't have any effect on this.

4. runwithscissors

runwithscissors Member

I started playing around to try to fix this. Here's one work around for you.
    Turn hotspot on and then start 4G. It works and stays on 4G.

5. Arbanak

I will try this and then report back. Unfortunately, I do not have 4G coverage at home, but do in town.

6. Arbanak

I just got back from trying to do things the other way around (having hotspot active first), and it made no difference. Sprint has finally said that they're going to replace my Evo, although it make take a week or two for them to get one to send.

7. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

1. Do you have the hotspot plan on your phone

2. Do you have the HTC hotspot on, sometimes it conflicts with Sprints version. Make sure your using the Sprint app.

3. Do you have any old hotspot tethering apps on the phone? Sprint software can detect and block them out now since the 2.2 update..

8. Arbanak

1. Yes.
    2. I am using the Sprint Hotspot. I am controlling it through checking/unchecking its box on the Wireless & networks settings page.
    3. No, I have not installed any other tethering apps. I even wiped the phone to try to resolve the problem, and that made no difference.

9. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

Then it probably is a problem with the phone.

10. tangfj

tangfj Member

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having similar issues with hotspot except that mine will broadcast in 4g but anything that connects to the hotspot gets a "limited or no connectivity" problem. So even though my devices will connect to the hotspot, they can't get IP addresses to access the internet. I've had your problem too where it just does not want to go in to 4g mode on both the hotspot and tethering. It seems to be hit and miss. I'm in a strong 4g area (Portland) and sometimes it won't go in to 4g when I'm tethering or hotspoting.

11. Arbanak

I never did get this resolved. A little more troubleshooting revealed that it had nothing to do with tethering, but with the fact that for some reason my phone's 4G modem will not operate if the wifi radio is on (with or without tethering). Sprint is sending me a replacement, but with as hard as Evo's are to get, it's anyone's guess how long that will take. It's been about 10 days so far.

12. elm197725

elm197725 New Member

I'm having the same problem and having an UNREAL run around with Sprint. They acknowledge there is a problem but have no clue as to what the problem is. I'm on my second replacement phone at this point and really just need the service to work. If the phone is not 2 inches away from the device I'd like to connect (laptop, DVD player, other EVO's), it does not get a signal.

Thanks for any and all help.