• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile hotspot with evo idea...

Doesn't mean they will do it for some uses, in fact history says they won't However, replacing your home connection via wifi tether and racking up the same amount of bandwidth puts you on the radar for further inspection. So that's not really proof at all, now is it?

You're working extra hard to prove your point even though all evidence points the other direction. Before this I had an aircard where i routinely put up 10 gigs a month of data. They have not flagged me in the 2 years of that contract. The sprint employee used this as a selling point.

maybe you're right, but there is nothing I see to back up those claims. I think what is happening is they reserve the right to disconnect in the way of abuse. seeding bit torrent all month, running webservers, etc. I think they're watching out for people like my friend on comcast who's hit 100gb usage in a month. There is no data specific limit publicly known its up to their discretion what 'abuse' is so any overage charges would be bullchit since we dont know what that over amount is. they can just d/c your contract, throttle, etc.

Upvote 0
You're working extra hard to prove your point even though all evidence points the other direction. Before this I had an aircard where i routinely put up 10 gigs a month of data. They have not flagged me in the 2 years of that contract. The sprint employee used this as a selling point.

maybe you're right, but there is nothing I see to back up those claims. I think what is happening is they reserve the right to disconnect in the way of abuse. seeding bit torrent all month, running webservers, etc. I think they're watching out for people like my friend on comcast who's hit 100gb usage in a month. There is no data specific limit publicly known its up to their discretion what 'abuse' is so any overage charges would be bullchit since we dont know what that over amount is. they can just d/c your contract, throttle, etc.

I'm just saying it's not really viable to replace your home connection, if your an average user. For light use in a 4G area, sure. But heavy 3G use will definitely get you flagged for review, and even termination.

Upvote 0
I had the old unlimited phone as modem feature before the Evo. I wouldn't give up my Motorola razr because I didn't want to lose that feature.

A lot of people told me to stop paying for it and just hack it. They told me how much bandwidth they sucked without getting caught. Well, I know some of them were caught. They had their contracts cancelled, or their data speeds slowed, or even were charged by the kilobyte when tethering.

So, can sprint find out if you're tethering without paying? I don't know, but I do know they were able to find out in the past.

As to data caps, if you're paying the hotspot fee, they don't cap or charge you after that, but they'll throttle you back if you eat too much.

Upvote 0
Just talked to retentions, twice. They both confirmed the evo Wifi hotspot option falls under the mobile broadband category. I suggest you talk to your manager.
From dan@sprint.com.. I also got a voicemail I can forward to you if you like:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. I attempted to contact you today at XXX-XXX-XXXX, however I received your voicemail. I left a detailed message. You are correct the Hotspot is unlimited data on 3g and 4g. If I can be of additional assistance you may contact me at 757-223-3444. I am available Saturday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and Tuesday - Friday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm EST. Thank you for choosing Sprint.

Sincerely,
Sarah B.
757-223-3444
Sprint

Helpful Sprint Links:

Learn to pay & view your bill, check usage and more with our

Upvote 0
From dan@sprint.com.. I also got a voicemail I can forward to you if you like:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Dan@Sprint.com. I attempted to contact you today at XXX-XXX-XXXX, however I received your voicemail. I left a detailed message. You are correct the Hotspot is unlimited data on 3g and 4g. If I can be of additional assistance you may contact me at 757-223-3444. I am available Saturday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and Tuesday - Friday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm EST. Thank you for choosing Sprint.

Sincerely,
Sarah B.
757-223-3444
Sprint

Helpful Sprint Links:

Learn to pay & view your bill, check usage and more with our

Upvote 0
Still not viable use for a replacement for a home connection, unless your a light user. No streaming netflix, no xbox360, none of that. Still expressly prohibited in the ToS

Never said it was a viable replacement for those things. I think that is a terrible idea actually. I use it to stream netflix when i am out of town though. Works well

Upvote 0
Never said it was a viable replacement for those things. I think that is a terrible idea actually. I use it to stream netflix when i am out of town though. Works well

Then technically speaking, your breaching the ToS :p:p

But I really don't think you'd have nothing to worry about unless your out of town for 3+ months at a time and stream 50gb a month + of 3G.

Upvote 0
Still not viable use for a replacement for a home connection, unless your a light user. No streaming netflix, no xbox360, none of that. Still expressly prohibited in the ToS

Really? Because when I read your quote from the ToS, I see mention of *unattended* streaming. I'm usually attending my Netflix streams, personally.

As a matter of fact, it expressly ALLOWS the "non-continous streaming of videos" and "on line gaming". Read the prohibited section again, and pay close attention to that first line or two.. it's a little awkward.

Are you seeing something else in there that expressly forbids Netflix? Now, I'm not debating the fact that the "reserves the right" clause basically lets them change the rules whenever and however they want, but as far as the rules...

Upvote 0
So I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told that there is NO data limit when using the EVO as a WiFi hotspot that it is all covered under the $29.99 a month I pay extra for the feature. He said even if I used 7GB there would be no additional fee.

He said that the 5GB limit applies to a wireless card not the phone.

I told him that the store where I bought the phone told me that there was a 5GB a month limit at 3G but 4G would be unlimited. His reply was that the store was mistaken and that they must have heard wrong in their training.

Guess that confirms it.

Upvote 0
So I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told that there is NO data limit when using the EVO as a WiFi hotspot that it is all covered under the $29.99 a month I pay extra for the feature. He said if I used 7GB there would be no additional fee.

He said that the 5GB limit applies to a wireless card not the phone.

I told him that the store where I bought the phone told me that there was a 5GB a month limit at 3G but 4G would be unlimited. His reply was that the store was mistaken and that they must have heard wrong in their training.

Thoughts anyone?

Well if your paying the 29.99 then it's all gravy on the gravy train. Most people here are NOT paying the extra and rooting to tether.

Upvote 0
I have actually used my HTC EVO's HotSpot for my laptop and home-office Macs at the same time and it works very well! The funniest thing though is that when I was in Las Vegas for a sales meeting and I went to use the free WiFi with the room, it would take forever to load. However, when it dawned on me that I was paying for the HotSpot service, I tried that instead. BAM, POW! Wow, my HTC was not just faster then the hotel's service, a Hilton property I might add, but it put it to shame. And it was only on 3G! So yes, use it! Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
What is the forum's thoughts on this?

I did read an article earlier today or yesterday about how voice calls will not interrupt data connections on the 4G network. Don't know if that's been officially confirmed. That was my big concern.

It is true, voice call won't interrupt data through 4G since they are going through different pipes, i.e., 3G/CDMA and 4G. You can just simply test by yourself by turning on your 4G and surfing while making calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones