mobile, how to access to local server

Last Updated: 2012-03-07 22:02:36
  1. nokachouik

nokachouik Member

Hi everybody, in a first step, sorry for my english -_-'.
    I'm developping an android application. This application use a web service
    to get some informations. The web service is deployed on local in my computer. When i run my app with the android emulator, everything is ok.
    The emulator use the address 10.0.2.2 to use the local web service.

Now i would like to know if it's possible to connect my mobile phone to my computer and to have access to my local web service.In others words, use my own mobile phone instead of the emulator.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. dawankler

dawankler Well-Known Member

Yes, there are two ways to go about this:

1) If you only want to do it for testing purposes the safest and easiest way is to connect your phone to a local wireless network that also has your "server" component. You'll utilize the same 10. internal address for access to the web service.

2) Make your local computer accessible via the internet. The way to do this is entirely dependent on your home internet connection and how it's configured. You'll need to open up any local firewall(s) to allow external access to the PC and if you're behind a router you will need to configure the correct NAT rules on your router to allow access. You'll also need to figure out what your external IP address is (if your local machine is directly connected it's straightforward, but if you're behind a router you should be able to find that info in your router's config page).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask
  3. nokachouik

nokachouik Member

Thanks for your answers.
    The problem is that i cannot make my local computer accessible via the internet and i cannot use the wifi.
    Is there any other method to do this only with cable?
  4. not really. You need to be able to access the computer via wifi or through the internet.
  5. nokachouik

nokachouik Member

ok i see.
    So i will choose one of your solutions.

Thank you
  6. mohdraes

mohdraes New Member

Hey i also need the same information.Please can u be more clear and detailed about the first option.What do u mean by having my server as a component in the local network ? Do u mean an adhoc n/w? i tried that but the mobile doesnt seem to detect it at all .