Mobile Insurance

1. The-Stig

The-Stig Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I dunno if this is the best place for this thread, but I am looking for UK mobile insurance and wondered if anyone here has any opinions on the best. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had to claim and see what your experience was like, as this is the acid test for Insurance I guess!

I was with Orange and had their insurance, but as they now want

Advertisement
    :
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Sorry, I can't really help you out, but, FWIW we use Asurion with Verizon here in the states. It's a $10/month charge per smartphone with an $80 deductible per replacement. Have never had to use and probably sunk way too much money into it than I'd like to think about. :(
    I still think it's worth it to have as these phones are both very expensive and delicate (thankfully, not so much as technology has advanced).
    What is the biggest consideration for me is what is the "shelf life" for your phone. With Asurion, I've heard of massive delays in replacing your device and whether or not they'll be able to with the stock they have (really rare or really old phones). Sometimes they'll look to replace it with an obnoxiously "commensurate" device or they just won't be able to do it. My takeaway is, once you reach an upgrade status (not sure how this works with your carrier) or your device is obsolete, drop your insurance. You'll spend a little more to replace it if you need, but you'll get a far better phone. :)
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Wow your plan is quite different from mine, even though it's the same company on the same phone. Mine is $7 dollars per month with a $100 dollar deductible. Hmm...
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

It was around $7 when I got my first smartphone (a WinMo in '08). When we both got Droids, it was up'd to $10. Actually not positive what my deductible is but I believe it's $80.
  5. OrlandoFL

OrlandoFL Active Member

Phone insurance? What a sham!
  6. The-Stig

The-Stig Well-Known Member

I agree!

I have been looking at the 'fine print' on most of the UK policies I have been considering, and the excess seems to be a minimum of
  7. Phoenix1974

Phoenix1974 Well-Known Member

Surely if you have house contents insurance you're covered, i know mine is. It is classified under the high risk items.