• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help mobile internet/data connection on launcher pro

mcchriswood

Mar 3, 2010
Thought I'd start a new thread on this. Currently using launcherpro as default but having a little problem with my data connection.
Do you guys leave mobile internet on then use a data connection toggle like on switch pro to enable disable as and when you like?
Or do you use a toggle like curvefish apn to rename and automatically connect to the network?
Or do you turn it on and off via settings or the power button as and when you need it? Bit lost on the subject to be honest.
Also when I go and turn mobile internet on in the settings under it it says something like connect to mobile internet when WiFi is unavailable. Is this the default setting or can it be changed to only connect when I want it to? Thanks

I never turn mine off.

There are 2 types of switches to turn it off.

1) One that changes the setting you mentioned above. Its a switch on your home screen which basically adds or removes the tick box next to "mobile data connection" in settings. If you use this type of switch, you never need to go into settings. It does it for you.

2) An APN toggle switch. This switch changes the APN (Access Point name) settings. In laymans terms, the APN is used to connect to the network. It has all the connection details including a username and password. If any of these settings are incorrect, you cannot connect to a mobile data network, regardless of whether the network is set to on or off. These APN toggle switches rename some of the APN settings to make it impossible to connect to the internet. If you use an APN toggle to turn off your connection, you can ONLY use APN toggle to turn it back on again.

Now, you can either go to settings to tun on or off your data connection or use 1 of the switches. Don't mix and match. Choose one and stick to it. Personally, I would suggest using a normal switch rather than an APN switch.

The only way LauncherPro comes into play here is that you CANNOT use ANY sense widgets (because its not sense, its launcher pro). This means that the SENSE network toggles cannot be used.

Thats it, dead simple.

Reactions: zeroeight
Upvote 0
I never turn mine off.

There are 2 types of switches to turn it off.

1) One that changes the setting you mentioned above. Its a switch on your home screen which basically adds or removes the tick box next to "mobile data connection" in settings. If you use this type of switch, you never need to go into settings. It does it for you.

2) An APN toggle switch. This switch changes the APN (Access Point name) settings. In laymans terms, the APN is used to connect to the network. It has all the connection details including a username and password. If any of these settings are incorrect, you cannot connect to a mobile data network, regardless of whether the network is set to on or off. These APN toggle switches rename some of the APN settings to make it impossible to connect to the internet. If you use an APN toggle to turn off your connection, you can ONLY use APN toggle to turn it back on again.

Now, you can either go to settings to tun on or off your data connection or use 1 of the switches. Don't mix and match. Choose one and stick to it. Personally, I would suggest using a normal switch rather than an APN switch.

The only way LauncherPro comes into play here is that you CANNOT use ANY sense widgets (because its not sense, its launcher pro). This means that the SENSE network toggles cannot be used.

Thats it, dead simple.

Right Dan. How comes my switchpro widget does not disable the apn? How does thos toggle work. The curvefish one does but not switch pro. I cant stick to the sense widget because I want to use launcher pro but dont want to leave my internet always connected.

Upvote 0
Well I recommended before to purchase extended controls. I use this. I have a bar 4x1 on my screen, which I add the included custom widgets. On mine I have Airplane mode, Data (APN), 3G>2G (3G>2G isnt turning mobile data off btw), Wifi, Wifi Hotspot, Brightness, Torch - all on one bar.

Reading switch pro on the market it just says "data connection".

Just to clarify you dont switch off apn. You switch of data OR rename the APN. I don't know which this does.

When you say it doesn't, what doesn't it do? Are you saying you turn it off and it doesn't disable the connection?

Reactions: zeroeight
Upvote 0
I havent made this entirely clear sorry.
Basically - when i turn mobile internet on and then disable the apn toggle from curvefish when i go into settings and look at the apns it says disabled next to it in brackets.
When i disable the switch pro mobile data widget i dont know how it stops it from connecting because it says in the settings under the option to turn it off that theres a connection (tick in the box) and under it it says use phone for data connection when wi-fi is unavailable. And i can't connect to the internet which is what i want.
However when i go into apn's it shows them as still enabled unlike how i described when using curvefishes toggle.
So how is the switch pro widget blocking the connection?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones