Mobile Internet or sim card?

Last Updated:

1. se99paj

se99paj New Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm currently thinking of purchasing a Nexus 7, just need to save up some cash. I had a conversation with a Google rep in my local PC world store and he suggested that I look into a mobile internet hub instead of getting a 3G version of the Nexus 7.

At the moment I think I have 3 options:
    1. Buy a Nexus 7 with 3G, probably with a PAYG sim card. Obviously the downside is that I won't be able to use with any other device.
    2. Buy a mobile internet hub, this way I can connect my tablet and any other device to the internet whenever I want. The downside is that I would need to take the hub with me whenever I need it but I don't think that will be a big problem. A PAYG 4G hub would be great!
    3. I can tether to my current mobile phone, but I need clarification on the costs as I think its going to be expensive.
    Most of my usage is going to be at home or friends houses where they already have internet so I don't think I'm not going to be using mobile on the move all the time, just on the odd occasion that I'm travelling.
    I do sometimes travel with work, and having a mobile hub would be useful if I ever need to connect to the internet.
    A 4G mobile hub would also be very useful, but I'm sure this is early days, and I can't see any PAYG hubs available at the moment.

At the moment I'm thinking buy a nexus without a 3G card, then wait for 4G to pick up and buy a PAYG hub. If I need internet in an emergency I can always tether to my phone.

What do you think?

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

First off the Nexus 7 does not support 4G radio bands, it will support HSPA+ (3.5G)..

Secondly, to discuss how much tethering would cost i would suggest to get into contact with your provider...

It really sounds like you should just get the regular Nexus 7 without mobile data, just because you don't need it.

3. se99paj

se99paj New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, I didn't think 4G was supported, my intention was to use a 4G wireless hub that the tablet could connect to. I'm assuming that as this would be possible, the tablet wouldn't need to support 4G only the hub.

4. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

I vote for the 3g tablet, less stuff to carry!

5. dake

dake New Member

I've been able to tether my 3g droid to my laptop. It's been very useful. It doesn't affect my plan cause I've got a 55 unlimited everything with page plus. I do want to get a air card tho so I can have faster download times with my torrents. But for now, browsing, checking emails and researching, There's no notable difference in speed