Mobile Network Sharing on a Mac

1. petefoth

petefoth Well-Known Member

I would like to use my Hero (unlocked, unbranded UK version, 2.73 software on T-Mobile) to access the net when out and about with my MacBook (10.6 SnowLeopard).

Will this work just by connecting a USB cable and enabling mobile betwork sharing, or am I going to need the PDANet app?

(I know I could just try this when I get home, but I'm sure someone else must have tried and can save me the trouble :))

Thanks in advance

Pete

Advertisement
    :
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

On Windows systems there's a driver that has to be installed on the 'client' system. As HTC don't support any other OS I suspect that this won't work, unfortunately. I think a third-party app is your only option.

I hope you receive a definitive answer from another Mac user soon.
  3. petefoth

petefoth Well-Known Member

First I tried just connecting the phone via USB - no joy.

Then I installed PdaNet on MacBook and Phone. This worked but it's only a trial version and I'll have to pay for it if I can't find anything else. I'd be happy to pay, but I don't believe that in a world of Open Source software that it can't be done cheaper, so back to Google which leads me to the links listed below.

The solution they describe needs the Android SDK installed on the Mac (more specifically the adb tool that comes with the SDK). Not a problem for me - I'd already downloaded the SDK so that I can start tinkering.

I used some variations on what they describe: e.g. I copied the Azilink apk to the Hero by mounting it on the Mac as an external drive rather than using adb. I need to find a way of automating the port forwarding, which I'll probably do by using/adapting the script on the last link (but that means learning about bash scripts so I'll stick with the Terminal app for now ;) )

Anyway, here are the links. If you want to do this, I would suggest reading them all, and working out exactly how it will work given your setup. If you're not happy experimenting with command lines in Terminal and messing with the SDK, then I would suggest shelling out the $29 for PdaNet - it will do what you want straight out of the box!
    Link 1: Using Android Phone as a USB Tether on Mac OS X : ThinkDen
    Link 2: Tethering Your Android Phone to OS X via USB DROIDIE
    Link 3: Caught in a Web HTC Hero USB Tether on Mac OS X
    Link 4: #405289 - Pastie

I hope someone else finds this useful, and thanks to the authors of the linked pages.

Regards

Pete
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Wow, very nice solution Pete. Many thanks for posting this, as I'm sure others will benefit from it.