Mobile Network Shutting DownGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Occasionally when I wake my phone up the 3g mobile network has shut itself off. It will come back automatically in a few seconds of waking the phone up, but for some reason, it's turning off while asleep. I've noticed this with my wifi as well.

I caught this problem because my Gmail has been arriving to my pc, but not my phone. This doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to be happening more lately. Does anyone else experience this issue? It's becoming frustrating.

Advertisement
  2. Raider2006

Raider2006 Member

It's happened to me, too. Today when it happened the 3G didn't turn back on for a good 60 seconds after I woke the phone up. Kinda frustrating since I was trying to read some news at the time.

3. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

maybe when the phone sleeps it temporarily disables 3G and wifi to save battery

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I don't believe it is supposed to though. That would suspend twitter, gmail, Facebook, etc from updates while the phone is in you pocket.

5. Bswartz95

This is definitely not normal. It basically turns into a dumbphone when this happens. I think I'm going to call Verizon and voice my frustrations tomorrow. This is my 2nd Eris. I've just noticed it recently.

6. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

If verizon doesn't give any answers, i would think factory reset?

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Are you using ATK?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

8. Bswartz95

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They are going to send me a replacement that has been tested and working. I complained about the refurbished and they are extending the warranty. I guess I have to compromise.

9. Bswartz95

10. Bswartz95

This is going to suck because I have my phone customized the way I like it. I guess i'm going to have to take some screen shots, so I can set everything up again and download all my apps. Ugh.

I guess it's worth it if the problem gets solved.

11. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

My 3g shuts down at night but not during the day. It wakes in about 60-90 seconds. Saves the battery from running down overnight. It may be because I changed the email auto check to 2 hours instead of 15 minutes. I thought the 3g was just for data. Not texting or phone calls.
    The first time it happened, I went into the settings menu and unchecked then rechecked the mobile network. It turned on instantly.

12. JohnnyThumbz

JohnnyThumbz Well-Known Member

60 to 90 seconds, My 3g shuts down for that long as well. happens rarely but it always happens between 1 and 3 am, network maintenance maybe?

13. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

The 3g shutting off is normal unless you have 'Always-On Mobile' checked in your Wireless Settings.

Once in a while, on all 3 of the ERis's I've had, this happens. And occasionally, turning off/on Mobile by the widget doesn't even make it turn back on. I go into airplane mode for a minute, and it comes back when I come out of airplane mode.

Wifi will shut off too if you don't enable a similar feature in your Wi-Fi Wireless Settings.

It eats your battery up big time if your connection doesn't do this.

14. davros

davros Well-Known Member

my wifi randomly shuts off but stays "on" so nothing works ......