Mobile Network vs Wi-Fi Internet

Last Updated:

1. julianb

julianb Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I' ve been using a lot my Desire these days and absolutely love it.
    I surf the Internet a lot and just wanted to make sure if I get it all right:

1. If I only use the Mobile Network Internet on my phone that means I am using the Internet my provider (Orange in this case) gives me per month. I have 1GB limited Interned each month and therefore surfing the web through the Mobile Network option means I am draining from that 1GB limit.
    2. If I only use the Wi-Fi Internet (when Mobile Network is OFF) on the phone that means I connect to (in this case) my home Internet router and use it to access Internet and therefore do not drain any of the 1GB limit I have per month.
    Is that right? I use Internet a lot and don't want to end up paying huge bills to Orange.

And last question- what happens if both options (Mobile Network and Wi-Fi) are turned ON? What Internet will I be using- Orange's or the one from my home Internet router?

Thanks you very much for your help.

Advertisement
  2. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

1. Yes you're right. You'll be using up your 1GB allowance.

2. Right again.

3. If you remain in range of your Wi-Fi network then you're still on your WiFi. The phone will always prioritise WiFi over 3G/HSDPA. If you happen to walk out of range then your connection will get transferred over to 3G. You'll notice this happening when your notifications bar Wireless icon suddenly switches to a 3G/H/E/G icon with arrows.

Hope that helps.

3. julianb

julianb Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a lot, damuffinman. That cleared up everything.

Have a nice one.

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Just be sure your internet IS 1gb/month. Orange only offer 500mb as standard ;)