Mobile Network won't turn back on!General

Last Updated:

1. hurley710

hurley710 Active Member This Topic's Starter

In order to conserve battery life, I am in the habit of turning off my mobile network whenever I'm not using it. At home, I have mobile network off, and wi-fi enabled. Over the past several days, I notice that when I try to toggle mobile network to on, it doesn't work. After going in to settings, for mobile network, it says Turning on... After restarting my phone, mobile network always turn on successfully. Why is this!!!

Advertisement
  2. trau

trau Active Member

Do you use Locale or Spare Parts? I had a setting for a while in Locale that turned off my mobile network, and I forgot and it would not let me turn it on outside of Locale... really threw me for a few days.

Also, I've heard of people having problems with Spare Parts if they turn off mobile, it needs to be turned back on through Spare Parts. So if you had that app or any other app that could switch it off and maybe uninstalled it or stopped using it, you will have to use that same app to turn it back on. So I hear...

3. hurley710

hurley710 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I don't use Locale or Spare parts. I just use the Mobile Network toggle found under Add HTC Widget -> Settings -> Mobile Network.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you haven't already, try rebooting the phone. It's like a computer, that often solves a problem.
    Also, if you've recently installed an app, think about that being the possible culprit.

5. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I have this exact problem,

I like having the mobile network widget on my home screen so i can easily turn it off to conserve battery. I dont need it at home or at work.
    But about 75% of the time, it will not turn on.
    However, if i go into the settings, i dont have any problems there.

I tried looked of network widgets in the market, but after downloading a couple, they didn't quite do what I needed.

Does anyone know of a good widget to turn mobile networking on and off?

Or even better, does anyone know of a fix for the mobile widget?

Running stock 1.5. And have rebooted phone many times.

6. zutmin

zutmin Well-Known Member

Used to have the same problem with the Mobile Widget in 1.5.

Works flawlessly in 2.1 v2.

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

What if you toggle airplane mode too? maybe not a fix but beats a reboot if it works.

8. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I'll try it. But i need to leave wifi on. But I'll see it maybe doing airplane mode unfreezes it.

9. smacky

smacky Banned

It's the widget. If you're using 2.1, I know most of them suck and don't do anything. If you're using Sense on either 2.1 or 1.5, it should be ok using the data widget.

10. jps

jps Well-Known Member

i use the mobile network widget on 1.5 and sometimes it wont work, i just hold the end button and and goto the bottom and turn mobile network on. that should work, actually, i know it will work. then every time after it happens, just do the same thing, it only takes like 2 seconds longer than clicking the widget, which isnt a huge burden

11. smacky

smacky Banned

Ah, now I remember. HTC widget had the same problem as well where it would stop responding. Man. Forgot.

That's why I leave mine on all the time. Not worth wearing out the Power key with long-presses, changing the network status constantly when I'm done using 3G. Battery lasts me a day and I'm good with it.

12. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Had the same issue in 1.5...this issue went away when I installed 2.1!

13. Locoman

Locoman Well-Known Member

Over the yrs I have owned a Palm Zire, Palm TX, Ipaq Windows mobile, BB Storm2, and now the HTC Eris. With out a doubt the Palms run a lot smoother with virtually no problems but they were not phones.
    I have experienced the same problems as you, also sometimes when I turn on the GPS with the widget then turn it off it still shows the little icon at the top showing it still on. I look at the GPS in settings and it shows it off but the icon at the top of the home screen the icon is still there showing it's on. When I turn it off then turn it on all is well.
    I wonder, do the Palm phones run smoothly?

14. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I had this experience on 1.5 as well; it would happen occasionally. I would toggle airplane mode on and off, and then the HTC "mobile network" widget would work again. I suppose that toggling WiFi on and off might work too. For whatever reason, it seemed that the problem with the widgets involved the state of both the WiFi and mobile network state.

eu1

15. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Palm ftw! I still love the old tungsten but I fear palms days are numbered. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to overclock by program on this phone without hacking? Good ole days. Never had a treo but I guess they crashed a little more often then their pda counterparts. I just bluetoothed tetherd mine with razr and had the best of both worlds except for texting where treos ruled for a while.

16. florian.francis

florian.francis Member

Model - HTC Legend
    Country - India (Bangalore)
    Service Provider - Airtel (Karnataka)

I faced the same problem but later realized that it was not the latest application that was installed but my settings were incorrect, I changed the APN type from "default" to "-" (hyphen) and it started working fine.

- Flo

17. mbrudolph

mbrudolph Active Member

They problem lies in apps that are working in the background. If an app has attempted to connect before you toggled mobile on it disabled the switch. Why? I have no idea but that is the case.

18. Houstatlanavegas

Houstatlanavegas Well-Known Member

Same here but for you cableguyone i think quick settings would help

19. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

I once downloaded a mobile 3G toggle, and forgot to turn back on the 3g on the toggle before deleting it, and had to do a factory reset to get it working again.

20. Houstatlanavegas

Houstatlanavegas Well-Known Member

hmmmm good point