Mobile On/Off Widget

Last Updated:

1. idheath

idheath Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 1, 2009
    When I 1st got my HTC Hero I found the Mobile On/Off widget somewhat confusing (thinking initially that it actually turned the mobile radio on/off).

Now it's clear to me that this widget actually turns the mobile data element off only and leaves the phone still to be able to make/receive calls & txt's.

Whilst this is a good feature (for those wanting to minimise data traffic) I've noticed that it doesn't always give a true reflection of the actual setting.

Where I live I get very poor mobile coverage and if I have been out and about (with coverage) I invariably set the Mobile widget to On. When I get home the widget goes grey due to my lack of coverage and looks like it's off. The problem is that it isn't off it is actually still on (but without coverage). If my phone then manages to get a signal then its data usage will get used. So you can't 100% trust the Mobile widget to see if the mobile data option is off if you're in a poor/no service area.

However I have noticed that if you select the menu where you turn the phone off the Mobile Internet indication always seems to show the correct state of the switch/setting rather than the actual current connectivity state. Also you can use this option to actually turn the option off (even when it's off due to no coverage).

I hope that all made sense:)

Finally is there any way to fully turn the mobile radio off (data & voice) without turning off the WiFi (as per Airplane mode)?

Cheers Ian

2. jimbobmcginty

jimbobmcginty Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009

If you have signal, then you can set Mobile Data to on or off.
    If you don't have signal, you cannot change the setting either way (until you find signal again).

So you're right, in zero signal areas the Mobile Data switch is in neither state. Damn annoying!

Also if you flip it to 'WCDMA only' in a flaky 3G signal area* it will (pisses me right off) change back to allow 2G too. But I don't want to use 2G! Ever! Waste of battery!

*though if it does find 3G immediately, it will stay on only 3G even if the signal drops.