Mobile Phones Direct

Last Updated:

1. cupidstunt

cupidstunt Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone had a defective handset with them?

I called to try and get a replacment but as it was longer than 14 days (16 days in total) since the contract started they will not replace the phone and have advised me to contact HTC.

I have done this and now have to send it for repair which means an estimated 7 working days without a phone!!!! :mad:

Don't all UK consumers have the right to a replacement product within 28 days of purchase (if it's not fit for purpose).

I am now going to have a repaired handset less than 3 weeks after buying it brand new.

Advertisement
  2. confuzzled

confuzzled Well-Known Member

Defective as in how my good man?

The only problem i am having is getting all my music to show up.

3. cupidstunt

Screen freezes up constantly and it keeps randomly restarting.

Have factory reset it a couple of times but no difference.

4. confuzzled

confuzzled Well-Known Member

Cant say it has man, Do you have a MPD store close you could visit?

5. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

The Sale of Goods Act says that up until 6 months after purchase it's up to the retailer to prove that there was nothing wrong with the product if they're refusing to repair/replace it. After 6 months, it's up to you to prove that there was something wrong with it.

Quote that and they'll probably be more cooperative ;)

Quazar likes this.
  6. erayzer

erayzer New Member

Dealing with mpd is a pain in the proverbial they do not want to know when there is a problem. I had a problem after a month with an n900 and all they kept saying was It's over 14 days we won't help fortunately I got in touch with Nokia and they sent a brand new phone within a week. I will never use mpd again nor could I recommend them to anyone else. I had to quote the sale of goods act to them to get anywhere if it was not for Nokia I am sure this would have carried on until I had got solicitors involved. Mpd customer service is the worst I ever had the misfortune to deal with.

7. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

The problem is that most people don't know that they're actually covered by law. The Sale of Goods Act says that if a product breaks down within what would be considered a "reasonable amount of time" then the retailer has to replace it. Obviously if you dropped the phone that would be a different story, but if your phone is in pristine condition, the retailer wouldn't have a leg to stand on in Court. They probably wouldn't let it get that far though.

A "reasonable amount of time" is debatable, but you'd expect a phone to last for the duration of your contract at least.

8. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Does the SOGA cover you on your 'Free' phone?....

9. col_b

col_b New Member

They definately shouldn't be sending you to hTC to get it fixed after only 16 days.

Might be worth giving Trading Standards a phone just to see exactly where you stand?

08454 04 05 06 www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

10. cupidstunt

Cheers to everyone who's posted.

Might delay sending it to HTC and try phoning them again tomorrow.