• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bangschr

Lurker
Jun 21, 2012
Hi everyone! I recently acquired the Skyrocket from AT&T and love everything about it so far. But, I have noticed an increase in mobile spam? Does anyone know how to stop this? I get what looks like a text message but it shows a white star with red dot at the top of the phone. It's always some kind of anti virus software offer, this time from snap secure. I'm using Avast so I don't need it. Does any one know how to put an end to this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like "airpush" advertising, a particularly annoying type of ad that some apps use.

There are a few apps that can be used to identify this - Lookout's Ad Network Detector or Addons Detector are 2 that come to mind. If they can identify the app that's doing this then you can remove it (and give it a lousy review in the Play Store to warn others, if you feel public-spirited ;)).

If you can't find the culprit, it might be worth trying the suggestion from this post.

Upvote 0
It was a green one that was new to me. I can't recall the name of it, but I know it disappeared because I went looking for it shortly after I'd deleted it to see if it was still up.

I'm sure whatever the spam-ware that was built into it was designed to not trip up the Anti-virus software at first. I use Avast and it never registered on it at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones