• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Modaco 3.1 vs Stock ROM

Hi

I've just purchased an HTC Hero from ebay. The phone is Orange Branded and it's running on Modaco 3.1. Based on what I've seen in other threads this was probably done to unlock the phone. Am I right?

Now, I'm rather impressed but I've also noticed that it lacks some apps that apparently come by default on the factory rom. I would like to have these apps eg Google Maps, Radio, the compass, Android Market etc :thinking: Also calendar keeps crashing and I wasn't overly impressed by the reception. So I'm rather inclined to replace the rom.

My question is shall I change the ROM? I've read many positive reviews on the update published by HTC in Sept. The thing is I tried to download the ROM from the HTC site and did not manage most probably because it's an Orange Phone. My suspicion is that if I go to the Orange site and submit the s/n they will provide me with a ROM that will re-lock the phone - which obviously I don't want.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Now, I'm rather impressed but I've also noticed that it lacks some apps that apparently come by default on the factory rom. I would like to have these apps eg Google Maps, Radio, the compass, Android Market etc :thinking: Also calendar keeps crashing and I wasn't overly impressed by the reception. So I'm rather inclined to replace the rom.

My question is shall I change the ROM? I've read many positive reviews on the update published by HTC in Sept. The thing is I tried to download the ROM from the HTC site and did not manage most probably because it's an Orange Phone. My suspicion is that if I go to the Orange site and submit the s/n they will provide me with a ROM that will re-lock the phone - which obviously I don't want.

Google maps and the android market should be there on modaco already, and there isn't any radio on the hero.

I suggest you wipe the phone and install a fresh copy of the modaco ROM. It's a tweaked version of the most up to date HTC release, so there wont be any benefit to installing HTC's september release. A wipe + reinstall should sort out the crashing calendar and restore all the missing apps.

Reactions: espresso
Upvote 0
I'm not sure, I've never needed proxy settings my self. If Modaco doesnt support it, I guess your only options are to find an app that does this, or to try one of the 2.1 ROMs (Although I dont know if they support proxies either).

I would imagine there's definitely some way of doing it though. It's a pretty big thing to have left out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones