MoDaCo Custom 2.1 ROM

Last Updated:

1. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

I have to say that for me, Villain 10.1 is just perfect - it will take something really significant for me to change over to MoDaCo now. Looking at all the posts in his forum, I'm wondering if the guys at Villain now have the edge, as while Paul was spending the last few months playing around with other phones they have been really getting to know 2.1 on the Hero.

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I think I'll move my wife over to MoDaCo once Paul has a final release as his releases are super stable but I'll probably stick with Villain (2.2?) as it's more fun :D.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Still astoundingly stable, though. After 20hrs use and with all my apps restored from backup and updated via the Market I've yet to see a FC. The worst issue I've found so far is the camera menu stuck in landscape mode. :)

Choices are good for the end user, and a bit of friendly competition even more so. Once the kernel source is released I reckon we're going to be spoilt for choice! :D

5. phillevy

Slug - nice to see you are finally on 2.1 !

6. Slug

Hehehe, just shows that old dogs can learn new tricks. ;)

7. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

i will change when the final modaco rom is posted and not before.

regards will

8. Slug

That's your perogative and nobody is suggesting otherwise. In fact, unless you have access to the r4 Kitchen you don't have a choice right now.

9. will65mcmanus

didnt mean it the way it came out..sorry if i offended anyone, just cant be bothered install something that is quite not finished.

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

a cooked ROM is never quite finished, neither is an Official ROM..

11. will65mcmanus

ok i meant the best version with as little bugs as possible :rolleyes:

12. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

It's looking really good, gonna wait for the 'full' release before i take the plunge though (only because i dont have the time at the moment to keep updating every other day).

As someone who hasnt tried villain and hasnt really been following its development that closely, what's more fun about it?

13. Xyro

I always thought I'd stick with Modaco; there's no denying his 1.5 ROM was as stable as it gets. But he does try to keep a close to stock as possible (he even says it in the post I linked to).

Villain on the other hand are already offering us overclocking and other random tweaks I'd miss if I switched to Modaco. So it's a tough decision.

14. phillevy

Same here - I've been waiting for MoDaCo, but am beginning to think he has his finger in too many different "pies" at the moment - whereas Villain are focused on just one project. While Paul has been holding back for an official release to work with (and playing with other handsets), they have been getting loads of experience with the CDMA ROM's which surely must give them the edge. I will be happy to eat my words though when MoDaco 4.0 is eventually released - the choices we have can only be a good thing:)

15. Slug

I know what you mean, but owners of the Legend/Desire/Dell Streak etc must be pretty thankful that he's got busy fingers. Heck, he even had the new Samsung rooted within 30mins of removing it from its box! :)

With the talent working with the Hero (and Android in general) I can see us soon being able to mix-and-match ROMs and kernels to create truly customised devices. :D

16. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

17. Slug

According to @PaulOBrien a short time ago, MoDaCo r5 Hero pre-bakes will be going online later today.

18. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

better give it a go then !!
    :) Be rude not to

19. Slug

And....? Did you? Impressions? :)

20. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

Not yet Slug, but I will do sometime soon.
    Have to admit, I'm happy with V12 at the moment

And I can't do impressions, never any good at them, they always sound nothing like the person I'm trying to impersonate !!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

21. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

Just flashed it...............................got as far as the 'quietely brilliant' screen, all going well.
    CRASH !!!!!! NETWORK LOCKED CONTACT CUSTOMER CARE

I DL'd the rom WITH radio, so I presume his rom still has problems with Orange and the new radio???????
    Will try the rom without new radio

EDIT 1 : Had to nandroid back to v12 to be able to do anything, then it still said network locked.
    Presume that's cos that r5 rom flashed some other radio. Reflashing the one I knew worked with villain12........6.35.15.14

EDIT2: working on v12 again now, so the radio included with that rom is obviously no good with Orange

EDIT3: Flashed the r5 rom WITHOUT radio and installed perfectly. Did a full wipe to give it's best chance of working, so I'll use it today and see how it goes.

FINAL EDIT: Used it for a few hours. Definitely slower than V12 on my phone, some lag noticed on keyboard that I can't say I noticed on V12.
    Nanding back to V12 as we speak. It's ok, can't be specific about anything in particular, but just doesn't seem as smooth as villain12.

22. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

Anyone else try it?

23. Xyro

That's probably because Villain have been sending all their recent ROMs out with pre-overclocked kernels and paul is using a stock kernel.

tojjer likes this.
  24. Slug

I've been running a kitchen-baked r5 since it went live but was interested in the opinion of someone coming from another mature custom ROM. I've not seen any input lag (seems as smooth and responsive in use as MCR3.2 was) but then I ditch a lot of stuff I don't use such as Peep, HTC Mail, Footprints etc so it's hardly a fair comparison. It sounds as if there's still room for optimisation.

p.s. I flashed the 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14 radio after updating the device ROM and had no problems on my network-locked Orange handset. I'm noticed no difference in 2G/3G performance, which was good to begin with, but wi-fi sensitivity appears to have improved slightly.

25. Xyro

63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14 works well for me too on T-Mobile.

Whatever the radio was that Villain sent out via the OTA updater (OU?), it gave me pretty terrible reception.