MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.2 is snappy!

Last Updated:

1. Jazman

Jazman Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everybody, I installed MoDaCo custom ROM 3.2 last night and initial impressions are that it is a little snappier than 3.1, I know that these issues as always are subjective but a quick check in taskiller shows that there is more free RAM available than there was in 3.1 with similar apps running 58M free as opposed to 28M. Well done and hats off to Paul O'Brien once again for a job well done! The point of the mail though is to encourage anyone who is in any doubt to upgrade to 3.2, it's worth it.
    Cheers, Paul

Advertisement
  2. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Just rooted and installed 3.2, so cant speak for the difference between 3.1 and 3.2, but coming from a stock ROM it feels like a different phone. I could swear somebody snuck a snapdragon into my phone when i wasnt looking. :D

Fantastic work and many thanks.

3. james

james Well-Known Member

It's great alright!
    I would also recommend doing these two things as well to make it even faster, and improve the battery life:

How to configure Android's *internal* taskkiller - xda-developers
    [GUIDE] The ultimate Guide to Speed Up your Hero "safely"!! (any ROM) - xda-developers

edit - although, the internal task killer might be already be set up like that in 3.2 actually. I can't remember which I'm running as I don't have my phone on me at the moment, I thought I was on 3.2 but after just seeing my sig I'm not sure anymore!

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

There's an app called AutoKiller that will set all the task killer values without any command line stuff. (I think it is already set in modaco 3.2 though).

5. james

james Well-Known Member

Meh, I prefer to use the command line, helps to practice :p

Cpu settings are definitely worth doing as well though!

6. Xyro

I tried setting the CPU yesterday. I noticed the better performence straight away, but I didn't notice much difference in battery life like that thread promised.

7. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Set the CPU_Governor to "on demand" and use SetCPU to enable profiles. Then configure "Sleep/Standby" to 245MHz/160MHz and use Spare Parts to ensure that the "End Button Behaviour" is "Got to sleep". You should see a difference now.

8. Xyro

Yeah I think that's basically what I did using the overclock widget james linked to, except I set it to 245-384MHz when asleep.

After using it for a few days it does seem to use a bit less power when the screen's off. Guess I was just a bit too quick to post the first time :p

9. Barretta

Barretta Well-Known Member

I did that, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately if you set the CPU clock that low, the phone is having a very noticeable lag when someone calls you. I tested it and my phone starts ringing 5-6 seconds later...

10. james

james Well-Known Member

Try changing the values then, I use 245-384MHz and it works fine.

11. Barretta

Barretta Well-Known Member

Nope :( It starts to ring normally only at maximum rate :(