Modaco or cyanogen?

Last Updated:

1. RellikZephyr

RellikZephyr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I have had my nexus for nearly 2 weeks, I think its time to root and put a custom rom on.

So the question is as above cyanogen or modaco? Looking into them they look fairly similar. Which is why I am asking opinions on both

Thanks people

Rellikzephyr

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Well-Known Member

3. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

i personally use cyanogen. hes the name ive come to trust rooting android ever since i had the g1. just a personal preference...not that i wouldnt trust modaco...

4. jblazea50

jblazea50 Well-Known Member

i tried both Cyanogen's and the Sense UI; i prefer the Cyanogen's rom much better; the sense ui looks awesome, but i just never got fond of it; cyan's is great, has many features and you can also add others; also, the sense rom is still in alpha, even though it may be stable, while cyan has a stable version

5. RellikZephyr

RellikZephyr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I say modaco, I mean their stock modified rom, not the desire port (sense ui) rom

Its similar to cyanogen

Rellikzephyr

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

6. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

I've used both versions of the Android 2.1 ROM & I prefer Cyanogen......

Though there are a couple of downsides, mainly around that it does not "fully" synchronise with the Cloud (as in save your phone setup settings, dictionary words, etc). All very minor.

7. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

I've also used both Modaco and Cyanogen ROMs and find Cyanogen's ROMs to be slightly more stable and faster. This might just be me but it's just what I've found after trying various versions of both ROMs.
    I do, however, use a cooked Cyanogen ROM from the Modaco forums that Paul created. Only because it allows you to add/remove certain things which I either use or don't use.

You should try as many ROMs as you can to judge for yourself. Use them for a few days and see how the battery life is. Also note that any Cyanogen ROMs from xda-developers will not come with google apps pack and will need to be added manually. Paul's Modaco ROMs come with google apps already installed and cooked Cyanogen ROMs do as well.

Good luck

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I've only tried Cyanogen's prior to jumping to Sense, but I hear good things about Enomther's. Looks good too--built-in kitchen (sort of) through a customized Spare Parts and all.

9. ztmike

ztmike Well-Known Member

I'm running Cyanogen, I guess he is working on a auto updater for the rom..you can see it on the market by typing in, cyanogen updater or something like that..but it doesn't work with the Nexus One ..(yet)

10. jblazea50

jblazea50 Well-Known Member

i'm running the BakedGoods v1.1, has lots of goodies included and really like it