Modded my DROID today, added a strap to it.

Last Updated:

1. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have a Droid Suede Jacket case, and sometimes it's hard to get the phone out in a hurry, plus if I'm on trips like a recent one to windy, rainy San Fransisco, I want a strap.

So since I got a couple free doors from Verizon (search this forum if you are about to ask how, they aren't available anymore), I decided to attach a strap to my battery door. It fits just right, there is a small gap under the door for the strap knots to sit.

Feels great so far, and makes pulling it out of my pouch 100x easier. And as you can see from the photos, if I don't like it, I have a new door waiting for me.

I know a few of you will think it's ugly, that's fine, I've always been more function over form, that's why I got a DROID!

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

My wife was noticing and wants to know, 'what about the loose door problems, will this worsen them?'

Regardless, interesting mod!

3. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

i must say that is the oddest place to put a strap....

4. Branndon

It's the only place it would fit with the knots on the back of the door. Like I said, I'm function over form, and I see no drawbacks at this point.

5. edge

edge Well-Known Member

Nice. Go Macgyver!

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

lol. He's not Macgyver unless you can pull on the strap and a parachute comes out of the Droid. For now he's Macgruber. :D Nice job though.

7. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Before I start about the doors, nice mod, Branndon. It's good to see someone taking time to fix what they see as a problem. If it works for you, more power to you! It's not my cup of tea, but if that's what you like I don't see a problem doing it.

About the doors: replacement doors can also be had by contacting Motorola. This has been posted many times and the fact that people are still complaining about it really bugs me. Three were available from Verizon, I have plenty of people at work who I thought could use one (including my CIO) so I went ahead and got the extra ones in case someone else needed one and didn't see the offer.

8. steve44618

steve44618 New Member

id be afraid if you was holden the strap that the battery door would fall off, there goes your phone to the ground

9. Branndon

The strap is a fail safe, last resort type of thing. Where it's mounted, it would pull the door upwards if the phone was to fall anyway, so it wouldn't pull the door off at all.

10. edge

edge Well-Known Member

lol a mini chute. like the toy army men ones from when I was a kid. I loved those. I used to put them in this toy c130 and throw the plane. They would fall out and parachute safely while the plane would crash... ah to be a kid again

11. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

"Improved" doors can be ordered through Motorola Support. They're free of charge but can take 7-10 days to arrive.
    Give them a call at 1-800-734-5870.

12. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Gracias Trident. :rolleyes:

13. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

14. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Nice mod!

Verizon offered a limit of three. People took the offer. Happens.

Some people get upset about that. Happens. (Don't rub it in..)

I've removed most the posts to clean up.

Keep all future replies polite, and on topic to the mod.

Thanks.

15. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

Nice work!
    I was surprised that the phone did not come with a strap connector. Seemed like for awhile all new phones had a connection point for straps.

16. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Nice! Like others have said not really my cup of tea, although sometimes I wish I had a strap on it.

About the free door issue, I actually got a warning about this the day it happened, I was unlucky enough to not be able to "order" them because they were sold out already, and some individuals had posted saying "Haha, thanks, now I'm going to ebay them!" I wasn't very nice.

Thanks for the phone number, my door has been fine after I bent the hinge up on it as recommended in the "early days" :cool: So I don't see myself ordering one anytime soon.

17. gonzoguy24

Actually after a MOD zinged me for bad language I apologized to all on here, twice actually.

I still think it was wrong ordering all those doors. But hey if you can do that sort of thing without any hesitation, more power to you. :cool:

18. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Smugness and condescension level is way too high here. I sure wish I was morally superior and judgmental. Oh wait, that's right, when I was young was. :D

19. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

They removed my comments about Microsoft. Whats up with that?

20. Branndon

marishka haradate

21. howtodo?

howtodo? Member

since everyone is over clocking u kinda just gave me an idea. perhaps drilling lil holes into the battery plate to keep the battery cool atleast. dont try this at home kids but is someone does let me know how it works out. if you were to drill be sure to drill with plate laying flat clamped to a wood block so u avoid a real bad hole blow out from the exit of the bit, ALSO make sure the latch side of battery cover is facing up. after drilling holes you will need a file to smooth out the holes. make sure all metal shavings from the drilled holes are dusted off and away from the droid, like keys or any other metal object near a battery while its in use results in a short.

22. gonzoguy24

But the battery getting hot is not the problem isn't it the CPU getting too hot that is the problem? The battery always gets hot (without overclocking). Correct me if I am wrong

23. howtodo?

howtodo? Member

well temp monitor measures both of them and fast processing asks the battery for more power causing the battery to heat too noo?????? not to mention do we know where on the circuit board that cpu sits ?? heat spreads through out. i just had a thought lol.

24. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member

10 SECONDS, McGruber!!!!