1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Modded OEM Car Dock

1. Konraden

Konraden Member

I've always wanted to use my phone as a dash-cam, and I eventually discovered AutoGuard Black Box. The program itself records videos, snapshots, has a myriad of features, and records speed as well. I have them currently saving as .AVI files. As far as I can tell, it doesn't embed the speed into the video, so when you play the video back using anything else, you don't see the speed (which is a shame). Still, it isn't bad for a free-program that essentially mimics a $500 camera.

I bought the Samsung Car Dock for the Epic, because I didn't really trust the universal mounting units, and I have the added benefit of the special resistance which launches the "Car Dock" app (or other). Well, I was shocked to discover that the OEM Car Dock doesn't have a hole for the camera. So I made my own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just grabbed a drill bit and went all the way through. There aren't any electronics anywhere near that hole. The USB board is actually located the "foot" of the L-shape. What islocated there, however, is a little plastic spring which gives the moving piece tension. When you move the USB connector back and fourth, you get that "clicking" force? You'll destroy that while drilling--which is fine. The friction from the USB male end and the USB female in the phone is sufficient to keep the device connected, even during hard cornering.

But, I do have a problem still. The OEM Dock vibrates like mad while I'm driving. Anyone have ideas how to stop the vibration? It looks like Michael J. Fox is holding onto my phone while I drive.

Advertisement
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I would've just bought the adjustable proclip holder and a bracketron suction cup mount for the windshield. The bracketron is pretty thick and solid so it shouldn't be prone to vibration and has the fully adjustable ball and tension clamp for a bit of maneuverability. It also has a standard amps mounting plate which is perfect for the ProClip holder. The adjustable can be adjusted so it puts a nice press fit on the Epic so it won't budge even if you roll your car. And if you roll your car and it does fall out, I'll give you a refund :) The ProClip holder is also completely open around the camera so no drilling or dremel work needed.