• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Modems - Dummies Guide

LOL yup I already knew where to download them, I wanted to make sure that 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 were interchangeable, just like my post asks. ;)

As per post #1, in bold type and my reply to you in post #18...

Modems are not firmware specific. You can install any modem for the Galaxy S2 to any firmware

I really am at a loss as to how I can make it any clearer. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I guess I should update or delete my post, as I already figured this out a couple days ago. I apologize if you thought I was still seeking an answer ironass.

I must say, you are excellent at answering posted questions. Your help has been infinitely valuable to me, and Im sure to countless others as well. Thanks for doing what you do, mate! :beer:

As an update, I tried another modem, and Im getting H+ again. So happy!

Upvote 0
Been on lp7 for a few months, been fab with great reception. Then all off a sudden stopped getting h+. Switched to lpe and I can get it again. Back on lp7 and no sign of h+.

Why would a modern that had been fab suddenly start misbehaving?

Is there some technical explanation to do with masts and signals??

Upvote 0
Been on lp7 for a few months, been fab with great reception. Then all off a sudden stopped getting h+. Switched to lpe and I can get it again. Back on lp7 and no sign of h+.

Why would a modern that had been fab suddenly start misbehaving?

Is there some technical explanation to do with masts and signals??

Yes.

Upvote 0
Ok ironass, I just opened the Google page on stock browser and the signal did indeed fluctuate. It went from -89dbm to -97dbm while the page was loading. I am on 2G network (EDGE, I think). What does this mean??? :p
I noticed that you ignored my second question entirely.... Point taken...

What second question?

It means that you are receiving the slowest/weakest signal of all, EDGE, 2.5G. Lower than 3G, HSDPA or HSPA. The higher the -dBm the worse the signal. The higher the ASU, the better the signal. So -97dBm 9asu is worse than -67dBm 16asu.

Therefore it is your signal that appears to be the problem and no ROM or modem will change that I'm afraid. I would suggest finding a carrier with a stronger signal in your area as your web browsing etc; must be very slow on EDGE. As you can see from the screenshot below, the transfer speed on HSPA is 21.6Mbit/s. On 3G it is only 384kbit/s.

BVLPEMODEM.png

This is a good HSDPA signal

Glossignal1.png

Upvote 0

Here is a screenshot. i understand that EDGE is the weakest signal of all. Let me tell you something. In India, 2G network (GPRS/EDGE) is the most common signal. 3G and HSPA or whatever that is, is a rarity. I am deliberately using 2G network because it is the only signal which will give me network connectivity in the first place. 3g is available in a few areas, but is generally not as strong and apart from that it is quite expensive, frankly. And the present screenshot is from when I HAVE data connectivity. The problem is that there are sometimes when i have "NO INTERNET CONNECTION" despite full signal bars. Deduce, from this what you will and tell me. I think it is time to switch carriers, though. Thank you.

Upvote 0
In India, 2G or EDGE is the most common way to connect to the net (through mobile). However, I quite see that this may indeed be a carrier problem. I will soon switch carriers and post results on this thread. Thanks for all the help Ironass. :)

papag1dubey if I connect to the net on my SGSII on a 2G or EDGE signal, even a good one, the browser either does one of two things. More often than not it will "time out", but then reload the web page OK or it will take a good 30 seconds to load.

I'm telling you this because even if you found an Indian carrier with the best 2G/EDGE signal ever for your area you might not see an improvement in browsing experience.

I know how lucky we are in the UK to have HSPDA in lots of places. In fact it is a measure of how I personally take it for granted that if I'm sat in the van at lunchtime and only have an EDGE or 2G signal I'll drive less than half a mile in any direction and I can always get the little "H" or better still the "H+" sign next to my signal strength.

Upvote 0
Dynomot, You guys are truly lucky to have such great connectivity. Do you have to pay different rates for a better signal (say 3G or HSPDA or whatever it is) We have to recharge our accounts with a higher rate in order to get 3g connectivity. Sometimes (very rarely) my network shows "H" next to the signal bars.. Which network is this?

Upvote 0
It seems that you are not the only one to express your dissatisfaction regarding the Indian networks, parag1dubey. See post #1099, here.

I am afraid that if your networks are this bad, no amount of modem tweaking is going to change that. The best you can hope for is to resign yourself to the EDGE signal and set the following to conserve battery... Settings > Wireless and networks > More settings > Mobile networks > Network mode > GSM only.

You could then try the following from post #1...

1. Settings > Wireless and network > More > Mobile networks > Network operators.

2. Let the screen populate with all the available carriers.

3. Select a carrier that is not your own. You will be told, after trying to connect, not allowed or No way Jose.

4. Repeat this with one or two other non carriers.

5. Finally, select your own carrier, Automatic, and reconnect your phone again.

This procedure should ensure that your phone locks on to the strongest signal for your carrier.

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
Ironass, I am glad to report that after flashing neatrom lite JB, my data connectivity is dropping far less frequently. :D the reason for the drops is still a mystery to me, but it is very likely that this is a carrier problem rather than anything to do with modems or kernels so switching carriers could be the best option. Thanks for all the help, mate. :)

Upvote 0
Hey ironass,
I just changed my carrier to Vodafone India and boy am i regretting it already.. Very poor network in some rooms at my home on XXLS6 modem... :( I wanna try out some other modems but in the Modem+RIL thread on XDA it is written "Don't flash these on 4.1.2 as they wont work properly" ... Now what?? Am i stuck with LS6?

Upvote 0
No harm in just flashing the modem without the RIL.

Seems that you're not the only one on Vodafone, India, with modem problems...

Galaxy S2 unable to register to network, no signal

As far as I can tell, there is no Vodafone specific firmware for the Indian SGSII. The JB firmware you are using is European based with a European, XX, modem.

The latest stock firmware for India is XWLPW on Android 4.0.4. It might be worth installing that after a nandroid backup, to see if your signal improves as I'm guessing it has a DD modem. Alternatively you could just try flashing the 2 DD modems, here.

Not knowing your exact location, here is the Vodafone India Network Coverage Guide to check what they, "say", it should be.

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones