• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Modems - Dummies Guide

Instead of that, I have flashed an ICS rom and then flashing modem through Siyah recovery. I need to be sure whether the signal problem is with the Rom or the modem... At times I get all 5 signal bars and the GPRS speed is still VERY slow, I mean slow to the point where the Play Store says "Connection has timed out" !!! What could be causing this???

Upvote 0
Instead of that, I have flashed an ICS rom and then flashing modem through Siyah recovery. I need to be sure whether the signal problem is with the Rom or the modem... At times I get all 5 signal bars and the GPRS speed is still VERY slow, I mean slow to the point where the Play Store says "Connection has timed out" !!! What could be causing this???

The ROM itself has no bearing on signal reception, only the modem part of it. If you are connecting via EDGE, (2.5G/2.75G), then it is painfully slow and you could get a timeout. The signal bars are just showing that you are getting a good reception on whichever signal you are receiving, i.e. EDGE, 3G, HSDPA or HSPA+. Use Network Signal Info to determine the type and quality of signal you are receiving as well as the speed.

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass, but as I have already told you EDGE/GPRS is pretty much the only network available here.. And when i said slow, I meant slower than the usual EDGE speeds I receive ... :(

Did you check the Vodafone coverage and speeds for your location before you changed?

I know from personal experience that coverage is a nightmare in India. Ranging from very good and fast in the main cities to nothing at all... particularly in the North East! A bit like Yorkshire in England. ;)

Upvote 0
So butty has been here... :D I guess I ought to have checked. But I fell for the big name... :( I am chucking this sim and buying a new one if it doesnt work out... :(

Oh, dear! You mean to say that you did not check the coverage of all networks in your area first! :rolleyes:

If at all possible, borrow other peoples sim cards on different networks and check them out in your phone.

For instance, where I live, the Three network and Orange, (EE), are terrible to non-existent but my Vodafone signal, in the main, is very good.

Upvote 0
I wish I had that luxury.. The sim cards which work best at my home dont work so good at Bombay (or Mumbai, where I work, to be politically correct , :) )... Obviously I cant carry someone elses sim out of the city.. Vodafone is the best network in Mumbai.. Not so much here, it turns out :) How much impact does can a different modem on the network signal???

Upvote 0
I'll be heading back across the pond to England for graduation in a week, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which android 4.0.4 modem is working the best for the Vodafone network?
I'll be in London and Durham and Alnwick. I'll probably have a long weekend in Poland too if anyone has experience there as well.

Thanks everyone, and I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas!

Upvote 0
As both Sydney99 and I are on Vodafone UK, I would suggest putting the following modems on your SD card in readiness... BVLP7 or BVLPE, if you are on ICS, or XXLS6 if you are on JB. Since it only takes moments to flash a modem... you can see which one works best for you. :)

Great minds think alike! This is exactly what I was going to do, put a couple on my SD card to just try once I land. :D

Im on Android 4.0.4., so should I only put the BVLPE on my card? I see that BVLP7 is Android 4.0.3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones