Moderator question

Last Updated:

1. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are you able to keep banned members from re-registering, by checking their IP address? The locked thread entitled EVO owns Epic, from a new member who immediately starts bashing the Epic, sure looks like the handy work of a recently banned member.

Advertisement
  2. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

more than likely you can ban there i.p. from the site you could also probably ban other i.p's that account has logged in from.

3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

You should PM a mod or even phases/shivers. Plus if dude is being offensive or just plain rude use the report post button

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

We have our methods.... ;)

I'll look into it.

5. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat Well-Known Member

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

One of the sports forums I belong to, fairly large and quite busy despite its strict registration policies, which include a phone call to the site administrator, abandoned the ip address banning method a few years ago.

When a person is banned there it can only be for posting something that could be "realistically actionable in a court of law or blatantly in violation of the law."

So they call the FBI upon banning a member there.

7. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

You can't realistically ban any form of IP and permanently ban a user unless they have a static IP. An IP addess comes in two forms a static IP and a Dynamic IP. Static IPs are usually given to businesses and certain people who ask/buy them although there are a limited amount of ISPs who still distribute static IP for non-commercial use. Typically users have dynamic ips which can be easily reset and they are given a new one, the old one would get recycled and thus a banned user can re-register.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

No matter your IP, that identifier as to your computer's location is a good clue for the administrators to recognize as to who you are with regard to your relationship with websites. There might be numerous members in say Philadelphia, but if one from there were banned and then a Philadelphia IP soon came up as a new registration it would get the attention of said admin, I'm sure.

It's impossible to thoroughly exclude a person from re-registering if they wish to, however, the biggest factor in all of this is that the site does most often issue temporary "vacations" which are still called "bannings." The user is not truly "banned" as it says below their user name; they are disallowed from logging in for a specific length of time and then we'll see them again.

If a permanent ban is what the admin or moderators want, then I'm sure they convey that to the user; I don't know about you, but if I were ever asked to leave and not to return I'd probably feel pretty badly about it, but I'd do as they say.. who wants to come around to a place where the people who run it say they don't want you there? There are dozens of Android based forum clusters out there and it seems like being tossed from one of them permanently would probably give that (former) member something to think about as to his or her behaviors in forums.

NightAngel79 likes this.