• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

modified version of system software: unable to update to latest version

Ronc01

May 2, 2012
UK
HTC Desire S
Android Version 2.3.3
HTS Sense 2.1
Build Number 1.32.161.2
Software Number 1.32.161.2

In an attempt to install some software to facilitate syncing with my mac -
I may have prevented further system updates.
"we have determined that your phone may be running a modified version of its system software. For your protection we cannot update your phone.
Please revert your phone to the official HTC system software....."

I cannot update my phone to the latest software :-
Can anyone Please advise - It's driving me nuts.
Cheers.

I have two questions. Are you rooted? And are you trying to install an OTA update from your carrier?

Hi, and Thanks for the reply.
1) Rooted : Unsure , I have previously installed Root Check Basic:It's Results:-
"Sorry This Device does not have proper Root Access"
(Is that good or bad?)

2) OTA Update: Yes basically have been unable to implement the last several Android System Updates: Am stuck on 2.3.3 as every time I am notified of an update and download it - I always end up with the 'Modified System Software'
Error/Message.

P.S.
I have Wifi Explorer Pro installed : A web-based app:
"Browse, transfer, download, upload, delete, copy, rename, stream and manage files that are on your Android device, using a web browser via a WiFi connection."

Will this help determine the problem: If Not,
Any pointers on backing up all my stuff?
Much Appreciated.

Upvote 0
Rooting is indeed modifying the system software. You are lucky it checked - on my device OTAs will just install and mess the phone up! You do not want to accept an OTA on a rooted device.

Anyway, anything worthwhile in an official update is in a custom ROM the next day (generally the ROMs are well ahead).

Sorry for being a bit thick on this but, "I"m lucky it checked..."
I still do not know if I have rooted the phone - Have I ?

I do not want to lose all the stuff on the phone -
How do I upgrade to the latest version of Android?

Upvote 0
Your phone apparently does not allow root access now, but must have at some time in the past and some changes were made.

To download and install the latest OTA update you'll probably have to re-root the phone and put it back to new, out-of-the-box condition. There should be instructions in your phone's sub-forum.

You will lose everything on the phone. Do backups!

Reactions: Ronc01
Upvote 0
Rooting is indeed modifying the system software. You are lucky it checked - on my device OTAs will just install and mess the phone up! You do not want to accept an OTA on a rooted device.

Anyway, anything worthwhile in an official update is in a custom ROM the next day (generally the ROMs are well ahead).

Hi, so how do I go about getting these custom Roms?

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones