• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mods for the Samsung Avant

Did you try going into settings/application manager and clear data for touchwiz home
I'm on metro avant with kernel from slim rom. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I think I figured out your problem. Go to /system/priv-app/TouchWizHome.odex and either move it to your SD card rename it to TouchWizHome.odex.bak or just delete it then reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
After installing the modified launcher, the wallpaper scrolls now. I tried Wanam and resetting the wallpaper but it still scrolls. Anyone figure out how to disable scrolling like it was?
I've tried to find a fix for you but no dice. It looks like modding the apk might be the only way to disable wallpaper scrolling. This is beyond the scope of my abilities. If scrolling wallpaper really bugs you, you may just need to go back to the original launcher that comes with the phone.

Upvote 0
Flashable bloatware remover

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP
RIGHT BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS ZIP JUST IN CASE IT REMOVES
MORE STUFF THAN YOU WANTED TO GET RID OF. I MADE THIS
FOR MYSELF AND MY IDEA OF BLOATWARE MIGHT NOT BE THE
SAME AS YOURS.
Any input as far as apps to add to or remove from the delete list is welcome and will be taken into consideration.

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/yirm1e3t3469bqb/Avant_Debloater.zip

To give you an idea of what this zip gets rid of, I did a factory reset and flashed the stock ROM for MetroPCS, then flashed supersu for root, and finally flashed my debloater zip. I then skipped my way through the setup process and installed the aosp launcher from CarbonROM so the icons for all the installed apps could be shown in one screenshot. Below you will see a screenshot of the app drawer after flashing the debloater zip. If you are on the T-Mobile ROM then the device unlock app will also be there in addition to the ones that are shown.
I have also attached two more screenshots that show a complete list of all files that get deleted.

Once again, make sure that you make a backup first.

I am not responsible for thermonuclear war, the death of your pet, or anything that may happen to your phone. You are choosing to flash this at your own risk. I have tested this out on my own avant before sharing it.

Attachments

• 1429510035946.jpg
    1429510035946.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 1429510105085.jpg
    1429510105085.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 1429510124995.jpg
    1429510124995.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The links in the op are not working for me. Can it be because I'm trying from tapatalk? I don't have a PC atm so its my only option.
If anyone could post a mirror that would be great. Thanks in advance.
All the links are working. Also I'd rather not have mirrors posted cause I like to keep track of the downloads. Try the android forums app that's what I use. Or you can just copy the URL for this thread and open it with a web browser.

Reactions: linsalata28
Upvote 0
That seems like it removes quite a bit of apps. I does it break any core features like syncing.

Edit: What if I wanted to keep a system app like "Google Play Games" how would I backup it up and move it back and set the right permissions.
Your doing a great job.
When I made it, my goal was to remove as much stuff as I could without breaking core features that would come on any android device. It yields a result similar to flashing the slim ROM we used to have but without the issues like Bluetooth and calendar not working. As far as Google play games goes you could just reinstall it from the play store. And yes you could also edit the updater script too if you want. As fare as core features go I flashed it on my own avant months ago and never had any problems. I posted it on the xda thread a couple months back and it already had over 70 downloads before I posted it here and I haven't seen anyone post complaining about core features of the phone not working.

Upvote 0
When I made it, my goal was to remove as much stuff as I could without breaking core features that would come on any android device. It yields a result similar to flashing the slim ROM we used to have but without the issues like Bluetooth and calendar not working. As far as Google play games goes you could just reinstall it from the play store. And yes you could also edit the updater script too if you want. As fare as core features go I flashed it on my own avant months ago and never had any problems. I posted it on the xda thread a couple months back and it already had over 70 downloads before I posted it here and I haven't seen anyone post complaining about core features of the phone not working.

Cool I followed your guide and mess with the apps you deleted and no problems; in fact, I notice battery life did increased. So I couldn't be happy lol.

Upvote 0
Flashable bloatware remover

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP
RIGHT BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS ZIP JUST IN CASE IT REMOVES
MORE STUFF THAN YOU WANTED TO GET RID OF. I MADE THIS
FOR MYSELF AND MY IDEA OF BLOATWARE MIGHT NOT BE THE
SAME AS YOURS.
Any input as far as apps to add to or remove from the delete list is welcome and will be taken into consideration.

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/yirm1e3t3469bqb/Avant_Debloater.zip

To give you an idea of what this zip gets rid of, I did a factory reset and flashed the stock ROM for MetroPCS, then flashed supersu for root, and finally flashed my debloater zip. I then skipped my way through the setup process and installed the aosp launcher from CarbonROM so the icons for all the installed apps could be shown in one screenshot. Below you will see a screenshot of the app drawer after flashing the debloater zip. If you are on the T-Mobile ROM then the device unlock app will also be there in addition to the ones that are shown.
I have also attached two more screenshots that show a complete list of all files that get deleted.

Once again, make sure that you make a backup first.

I am not responsible for thermonuclear war, the death of your pet, or anything that may happen to your phone. You are choosing to flash this at your own risk. I have tested this out on my own avant before sharing it.
Does this work on the deodexed ROM?

Upvote 0
Works fine for me. I just had to check for myself. It works fine with the Apollo music player. Did you enable it in settings? You have to go to settings/sound/music effects

do you recommend "wiping data and factory reset" before flashing a mod?

im a newb.. got to root my phone and managed to find recovery mode off of research but just had to ask about that.

Upvote 0
do you recommend "wiping data and factory reset" before flashing a mod?

im a newb.. got to root my phone and managed to find recovery mode off of research but just had to ask about that.
Nothing I've posted on here so far requires a factory reset. Also, make sure you read everything before you flash it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones