• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mods that work for *ANY* ROM

All of these mods supposedly work for any ROM on any device--I have personally tested them for the HTC Rezound so I am posting here.

Latest DSP Manager for ICS (flashable zip contains libs and apk)

DSP Manager, developed as part of the clockworkmod project, gives "enhanced sound processing capabilities." Read more about what it does here.

Google Now/Voice Search for ICS (you want Velvet-mikeyv6.apk from the download list)

^^^^^^ Google Now is a feature released as part of Android Jellybean, ported to ICS ROMS. It's basically Google's answer to the iPhone's Siri. Read more about what it can do here.

Sony Bravia Engine and Sony Xloud on any ROM

^^^^^^^ Note: Make a backup before flashing the Sony mods and read the instructions carefully. I personally recommend that you extract the zips, place the files in their appropriate locations and set the permissions, backup your build.prop and then copy and paste the lines to enable bravia/xloud into your build.prop (all of that instead of flashing the zips)

Bravia enhances both the quality of camera pictures and viewing of pictures in galleries. Read more about Bravia Engine and see examples on the Sony Experia Blog.

Xloud enhances sound output to "give crisp and loud sound." It definitely provides a volume boost for output through the phone's speakers, although in mine and others' experience, it can "flatten" or slightly distort the sound of audio, particularly over bluetooth. If you like playing podcasts/video/audio over the phone's speakers, give this a try. Or you could try using DSPManager (above), Volume + or Equalizer to try boosting sound input. Just don't boost it up too loud, the Rezound's speaker is pretty weak and subject to blowing out.

v6Supercharger - This is actually a script that takes advantage of ROMS that have the ability to run init.d scripts (ViperRez is one of them that has them out of the box). From the original post: "SuperCharger = Speed + Multitasking! No more lag! No more launcher redraws! Smooth & Snappy!"

You will need to install Script Manager (SManager) from Google Play to run the v6supercharger script.

Read the instructions carefully! It's not that hard but there are some prerequisites involved that you may need to install, depending on what comes installed with your ROM.

How about a flashable zip like ojwake.zip that will work on the Rez?

I googled what OJwake.zip meant since I wasn't familiar. Isn't that for devices that have an optical joystick or trackball? The rezound doesn't have one.

From the ViperRez FAQ:
"Q: Why doesn't sweep to wake work?
A: It is not supported on the Rezound"

But let me know if there is any other flashable zips you are interested in and I will hunt them down and see if they can work on the rezound.

Upvote 0
thoroughly enjoying the v6 supercharger mod. i am running nils bussness sense and just got horrible lag between switching home screens, opening/closing apps running apps, and just about everywhere on my phone. this was unfortunate because i really liked the layout and the abilities of the rom but, with that supercharger mod i dont have any screen shudders or problems of any kind woot!!

Upvote 0
thoroughly enjoying the v6 supercharger mod. i am running nils bussness sense and just got horrible lag between switching home screens, opening/closing apps running apps, and just about everywhere on my phone. this was unfortunate because i really liked the layout and the abilities of the rom but, with that supercharger mod i dont have any screen shudders or problems of any kind woot!!

What launcher are you running? The standard HTC launcher, aka Rosie, has always been slow to me, once you compare it with a custom launcher. If you are on ICS, I would try out Apex or Nova (I use Nova, it has some code from Jellybean launcher worked into it), or if you are still on gingerbread, holo launcher (based on the google ICS launcher). All of those are noticably faster than the stock HTC Sense launcher, and can of course be made "Die-Hard" by v6Supercharger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones