MOG Mobile and Pandora... Do I even need iTunes any more?

Last Updated:

1. jlhopwo

jlhopwo Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I have purchased a lot of music over the years, and cd's and albums before that...

and now there is MOG Mobile ($10 a month subscription) and Pandora.

Do I even really need non-streaming music on my computer anymore?

I recently purchased and downloaded one album from iTunes. It cost me $9.99. For that same amount of money, I can buy the right to listen to tens of thousands of titles (or more?) from MOG Mobile anytime I want. And I don't need to sync anything either. No Songbird, Doubletwist, or Tunesync.

I'm wondering, in this age of cloud-based computing, why I'm carrying around 25+ gigs of digital music on my desktop hard drive.

Advertisement
  2. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm sure that the quality of a properly ripped mp3 at a high bitrate outperforms the quality of streaming audio. Perhaps when high speed wireless bandwidth is common enough the files in the cloud could be at higher bitrates or even uncompressed, but for now, I can rip an mp3 that sounds better than the same track off of Pandora.

3. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

Nah.... I need my playlists... Those streaming sites take user input after every song IF you want to be that much in control...

4. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Each different. LOVE Pandora. But... Sometimes I am in the mood for something specific, why I still have *some* music myself on my phone.

Still. Probably 80% Pandora, 20% my own music now.

5. woodsk

woodsk Member

between pirate bay and pandora there is no need

6. geaux4it

geaux4it Member

I love Pandora. I could never afford all the new music I am hearing. The quality is quite good. Even better if you subscribe.

7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Streaming music is great if you have an internet connection. The problem with streaming music is if you're long distance driving, then it would be great to have something installed in your phone just incase you get to a weak signal somewhere in the middle of the desert. :)

8. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

I have over 40,000 songs and I listen to music based on my moods... Sometimes Pandora and the other streaming sites miss the ball and play songs I don't wanna hear... Like, if i'm listening to Different Day by D'Nell, I don't wanna hear That Night by Jazzanova (even though I love both songs)... And the streaming sites aren't that great (at least to my liking) in genre matching...

9. HoldenCaufield

HoldenCaufield Well-Known Member

With Pandora et al, you can listen to virtually any song, anywhere, any time.

With iTunes or Amazon mp3, you OWN the music, as much as you can own a digital copy of a recording stored on your device.

I like to listen to slacker radio, because I get stuff I don't have or have never heard of.
    But ownership has its benefits, too.

.....Besides....."Need" is such a relative term;)

10. jlhopwo

jlhopwo Active Member This Topic's Starter

It's weird... I have a collection of over 100 Depeche Mode CDs... albums, singles, live concerts, pirated stuff... but one thing I'm missing (and is really basic) is the set of six boxes of single remixes.

They're on MOG Mobile, so I can listen to them anytime I want. So now I'm wondering if I even still want to buy them for my collection.