1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Moisture Indicator Color

1. gpshslax

gpshslax Well-Known Member

Does anyone know for the Desire specifically where and what color the moisture indicators should be?

I can't find one on the phone body anywhere. There appears to be one on the edge of the battery right next too the contacts. I'm confused though as I though these were typically white and showed a pink pattern if exposed to water. The one on my battery has a pink pattern and has never been near any water.

Can anyone with a desire please check and confirm for me?

Advertisement
  2. Slash3040

Slash3040 Well-Known Member

Well I looked everywhere around the battery and the battery compartment and I didn't see anything that resembled a moisture indicator. In fact I couldn't find one period. Guess its something to Google
  3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

there are two
    one on the battery (if its pink then it has been exposed im afraid, some people have reported condensation)
    the other is a white square just underneath the battery connectors on the phone part
  4. gpshslax

I'm begin to suspect that this may varry by carrier. When I got home I checked my wife's desire and her's looks exactly like mine. Indicator with pink hashmarks on the edge of the battery near the contacts, pink checkerboard type appearance. Nothing on the phone.

Neither phone has been exposed water of any type or put in a humid situation. I would considered the idea that the humidity of my body might have tripped mine when carried in my brest pocket but that seems awfully sensitive, and my wife carries her's in a purse.

Rastaman, could you by any chance post a pic of were the one on your phone body is (also a pick of the one of the battery for good measure)? I havent been able to find any info on google or otherwise that shows where or what these should look like for a desire.
  5. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Mine's directly below the battery contacts - under the plastic on the circuit-board below. Just a white rectangle.
  6. gpshslax

I don't see one there either. In fact I don't see much on anything below the contacts. Can you define below? Do you mean in the direction on the bottom of the phone (charging port) or deeper into the phone? There is a small silver (read as metal) plate directly beneth the contacts or a semi transparent plastic peice that makes up most of the bottom 2" of the phone. I don't see a white sticker on (or under) either piece. Perhaps the differences stem from the fact that my desire is a CDMA model rather than the more typical GSM. Perhaps there are battery compartment layout differences.

Again, pics would be helpful if anyone has any.
  7. Das_Jeeb

Das_Jeeb Well-Known Member

The indicator on my battery has a pink outline around the white square. I use my phone when I'm out running quite a lot and do get quite a bit of condensation on the back cover which sometimes gets under the cover.
  8. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

O.K. I can't find any useful pictures on the web and I can't take a photo of it as the only camera I have with me is the Desire. So...

Turn the phone off.
    Remove the back cover.
    Place the phone unit on a flat surface screen-down with the power button to your right and the USB connector to your left.
    Hinge the battery out away from you - there is a moisture indicator on the hinge-edge of the battery.
    Directly down (i.e. towards the flat surface) from the battery contacts is a small hole in the plastic that is a rounded rectangle a little longer than the extent of the battery contacts.
    About 5mm from the left edge of this rectangle on the circuit-board underneath there is a white rectangle (virtually identical to the one on the battery).

HTH
  9. Rastaman-FB

click for bigger view
    [​IMG]
  10. aldredd

aldredd Well-Known Member

Does seem a bit odd to have one on the battery - as I normally you don't return the battery with the phone do you? (Unless it's the battery specifically you're returning)

I do have the one below the contacts, but doesn't look well attached - starting to peel off, and sure it could come off cleanly if ever it went pink.

For record, both of mine are completely white.
  11. gpshslax

Thanks for the pics.

As per my other thread. I received my replacement desire. The brand spanking new one looked exactly like old old. No moisture indicator on the body, and the one on the battery has pink hashmarks. I'll get some pics so people can see. It seems strange this attribute is so variable.
  12. Rastaman-FB

maybe its geographic, im from uk
  13. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

I have the Telus Desire and mine are the very same as your's are, battery and below the connectors on the phone.
  14. Joe in TPI

Joe in TPI New Member

All electronic devices have moisture detection die pads located inside. Some are plane white in appearance, with the die hidden in layers below. Some have the die visable in the form of print. When this indicator receives enought moisture the die wicks across the pad, permanently changing the pads appearance. Anything else you would like to know, simply read tech books.