Moment GPS Reception, questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. egkor

egkor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I use my Moment GPS (Sprint Navigation) in a moving vehicle, and it is cloudy/overcast, the Moment (Sprint Nav) reports "no GPS signal", "GPS signal", "no GPS signal", back and forth. Its like the overcast weather causes the Moment's GPS reception to be right on the fringe.

For GPS/Nav I use the windshield mount (suction cup) holder for the phone, with the phone oriented vertically. The phone has a clear view of the sky.

I bought the Sprint windsheild mount just so I could use the Moment for Nav.

There have been times when I used the Moment and Sprint Nav, and had a steady GPS signal for the duration of my travels (say 1/2 to 1 hour trip). I'm just curious if overcast skies has an effect on the GPS signal for the Moment.

Thanks,
    -Gary K

Advertisement
  2. someguyatx

someguyatx Well-Known Member

From what I read some Moments have bad or quirky GPS units. There is an app you can try called GPS test that shows you how many satellites you can see and are currently using.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I had GPS problems. Sprint updated it and said it worked and it still didn't. They replaced it and it worked a little better. Basically it will never work well.

Seems they continue to have problems with the GPS feature in newer phones as well.

My daughter has it now and I am using the EVO. The EVO has a great GPS.

4. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

If you can, get the unit swapped out. I had 2 units that had dreadful gps performance, which I assumed was par for the course with the Moment, the third performed well.

5. egkor

Would they swap my Moment for a Transform? :)

-Gary K

6. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

You could try. From what I've read, they offer either a Hero or Intercept. I've also seen someone post that they got an optimus S. If it were me and I didn't need a keyboard, I'd go with the Optimus S in a heartbeat.

egkor likes this.
  7. egkor

Thanks! This is helpful info!

-Gary K

8. jreuschl

jreuschl Member

I just received a replacement Moment for my old one last week and it was newly refurbished with new plastics, etc.

9. egkor

I originally bought my Moment from Best Buy, and I have the Geek Squad insurance. Right now I have the phone sent in to the GS for service because the USB port on the phone is flakey, now charging the battery is hit/miss. But I actually don't expect the GS to fix it because I don't think they will pursue trying to recreate the issue, although it would be nice if they did offer a replacement phone.

Thanks,
    -Gary K