Moment not assigned a drive letterSupport

Last Updated:

1. IH8CELLPHONES

IH8CELLPHONES New Member This Topic's Starter

I have researched this enough on here to have found several solutions that didn't help me. I have tried switching out of USB debug mode. I have tried shutting down the phone and removing the battery/SD card and powering back up. I tried using USBDview to remove old drivers (it doesn't remove them when I tell it to) Here is what happens. I plug in, the laptop dings that it found the phone, but there is no drive letter. I go into disk manager and it shows that disk 1 is a removable drive with 969 MB of unallocated space and that it is online. I try right clicking on it and selecting "change drive letter and paths" and I get a message that says

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or rstart the computer."

I tried those, no change. Tried going into the New Simple Volume Wizard and assigning F to the drive, then selecting "Do not format this volume" It says I successfully completed the new volume wizard. Then it says, "The server threw an exception." and the drive letter is not assigned.

My computer is obviously seeing the phone but doesn't have the means to read it. This sounds to me like a driver problem but I don't know how to uninstall the driver and USBDview is worhless in that regard. Please help. I need to get pics off my phone. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. jasonamd

jasonamd Well-Known Member

Once the phone is connected to the pc you need to tell it to mount....you didn't mention you were doing that. The option will be found in the notification bar drop down. No driver is needed for this, the phone will be seen as a usb mass storage device which has built in drivers in windows. Pretty sure this is all explained in the users manual as well.

3. charliefreak

charliefreak New Member

Under Settings >> Application >> Development, make sure that USB debugging is OFF and then when you hook the phone up with the USB cable to your computer, an icon should appear in the notifications bar as well as a drive letter on your computer.

Hope this helps.