• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moment or wait for what's next in-line.

well there is a difference because the masses do not root their phones and install a streamlined OS devoid of all the bloat. Using the word stock just refers to a non rooted phone which is what the majority of the users will be using and customizing from there.

So if I take 3000lb 350hp and strip out the seats and throw in a carbon fiber driver's seat, ditch the AC unit, replace the hood with CF, switch out the steel wheels with aluminum and so on, I'll probably make the car a second or so faster in the 1/4 mile. It's the same principle in rooting the phone and putting a custom ROM on it.

So you can say all you want. It's not an apples to apples comparison. And I'm sure if you compared the two with some more processor intensive apps, you'd notice a difference. But I'm just speculating since I have not seen the Hero running 2.1.

That being said, in comparing the phone only, I'd still take the larger, higher res AMOLED screen over the smaller, lower res LCD any day along with a better processor (that even if it isn't blazingly faster) that should be running more efficiently which along with the screen, should help improve battery life.

Upvote 0
well there is a difference because the masses do not root their phones and install a streamlined OS devoid of all the bloat. Using the word stock just refers to a non rooted phone which is what the majority of the users will be using and customizing from there.

So if I take 3000lb 350hp and strip out the seats and throw in a carbon fiber driver's seat, ditch the AC unit, replace the hood with CF, switch out the steel wheels with aluminum and so on, I'll probably make the car a second or so faster in the 1/4 mile. It's the same principle in rooting the phone and putting a custom ROM on it.

So you can say all you want. It's not an apples to apples comparison. And I'm sure if you compared the two with some more processor intensive apps, you'd notice a difference. But I'm just speculating since I have not seen the Hero running 2.1.

That being said, in comparing the phone only, I'd still take the larger, higher res AMOLED screen over the smaller, lower res LCD any day along with a better processor (that even if it isn't blazingly faster) that should be running more efficiently which along with the screen, should help improve battery life.

good for you, not that i asked for your opinion but im happy for you. in the meantime ill take my very comparable phone running the same software, and upgrade once the supersonic comes out........like u said i'd take the much bigger screen with the same processor, plus sense ui and 4G network.

Upvote 0
that showed me two things:

1. How much nicer that AMOLED screen is. Thanks
2. How good Sprint's network is. Glad I'm on it.

And I love how you show this when the creator clearly states:
Not meant to be a fair comparison
But really, it's a network comparison that is rather independent of the phone.

If anything, it makes me look forward to the next HTC android phone.

Gen 1: Hero/Eris
Gen 2: Nexus
Gen 3: Supersonic and/or Hero's successor.

Not that I'd buy it unless it's a slider, but seeing what the Nexus is like compared to the Hero, the successor should be sweet whether it's the Supersonic or a different phone entirely.

And again, you just compared phones. Bringing the networks and other variables wasn't part of your initial argument.

Our quibbles aside, I do wonder how the wimax radio will effect battery life. If my CTR350 router can't hande the requirements of the 4g wifi card, forcing me to upgrade to one of their more powerful routers, I'd imagine the demands on a phone would be greater as well. Will be interesting to see how battery life fairs out in the wild for all the complaints people have of battery life in the current crop of android phones. For me, having the wifi card, I don't see much value in a 4g phone. I don't stream much and don't download large files. If I was storing lots of files in the cloud somewhere, accessing them to download as needed would be nice. Throwing a 32gb microSD in there would decrease even that need. Another question is will there be an upcharge on the Everything plans to go 4g on the phone. If it increases the cost of phone service, I see less value in it. Though if I tethered a bit, it could be worthwhile. I just like having the separate wifi card for convenience sake.

Upvote 0
that showed me two things:

1. How much nicer that AMOLED screen is. Thanks
2. How good Sprint's network is. Glad I'm on it.

And I love how you show this when the creator clearly states:
But really, it's a network comparison that is rather independent of the phone.

If anything, it makes me look forward to the next HTC android phone.

Gen 1: Hero/Eris
Gen 2: Nexus
Gen 3: Supersonic and/or Hero's successor.

Not that I'd buy it unless it's a slider, but seeing what the Nexus is like compared to the Hero, the successor should be sweet whether it's the Supersonic or a different phone entirely.

And again, you just compared phones. Bringing the networks and other variables wasn't part of your initial argument.

Our quibbles aside, I do wonder how the wimax radio will effect battery life. If my CTR350 router can't hande the requirements of the 4g wifi card, forcing me to upgrade to one of their more powerful routers, I'd imagine the demands on a phone would be greater as well. Will be interesting to see how battery life fairs out in the wild for all the complaints people have of battery life in the current crop of android phones. For me, having the wifi card, I don't see much value in a 4g phone. I don't stream much and don't download large files. If I was storing lots of files in the cloud somewhere, accessing them to download as needed would be nice. Throwing a 32gb microSD in there would decrease even that need. Another question is will there be an upcharge on the Everything plans to go 4g on the phone. If it increases the cost of phone service, I see less value in it. Though if I tethered a bit, it could be worthwhile. I just like having the separate wifi card for convenience sake.

i'd bet on sprint bumping up the price of our plans to use a 4g phone. i really can't see them not charging extra for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones