Moment Screen - Glass or Plastic?Support

Last Updated:

1. cbotical

cbotical New Member This Topic's Starter

Anybody know for sure whether the Moment's screen is glass or plastic?

I've looked around for the answer, but there seems to be conflicting reports. So far I'm amazed at how scratch resistant the screen is. Still pristine after heavy usage, so I'm assuming it's a glass screen. But I haven't been able to find any definitive source.

Advertisement
  2. cvu524

cvu524 Active Member

The Moment uses a glass screen: its a capacitive touch screen. Resistive touch screens are plastic.

3. cbotical

cbotical New Member This Topic's Starter

I've read that capacitive screens can be hard plastic as well, supposedly the the Instinct HD has a plastic capacitive screen. This could be totally wrong, just what I read while looking around.

4. MobstaJ

MobstaJ Active Member

Capacative screens can most definitely be plastic. The palm pre is a perfect example. Because the screen blends into the curved body a glass screen would have been very difficult. The moment seems to have a glass screen. It is very hard to scratch. When you tap it with something metal it makes that clanky glass noise. It is also very cold to the touch.

5. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

the screen is definitly glass

6. numus

numus Banned

Glass... by the sure proof that i cant see any scratches on it eventho i gave up with screen protectors and i am notorous for scratches on my old blackberry curve

7. pbj

pbj Member

I have scratches in mine

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about you guys, but when I wake up in the morning I rub a belt-sander against my screen to warm it up for my fingers. So far, it's been semi scratch free.

Here's kinda what mine's like:
    [​IMG]

9. MobstaJ

MobstaJ Active Member

Haha.

The glass screens on iphones are succeptible to weird top layer scratches too. I do have a small nick in my moment screen from a fall. Looks similar to some iPhone scratches that I've seen.

10. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The screen is plastic for sure.

Look at the shape of the screen on top. You can't carve glass like that, in that strange curved contour.

Glass can really only be effectively shaped in a square / rectangular pattern, with rounded corners, like the screen of the iPhone or Droid.

11. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

First, glass can be cut into whatever shape it needs to be. Second, I've said this in another thread before... under a magnifying glass the edge looks like an unpolished 45 degree bevel to eliminate the possibility of cutting the skin on the exposed edge. Though that could be done with either glass or plastic... However, it's not only unpolished, but also horizontally striated. Meaning, it's not molded that way, nor is it a clean diagonal cut. So unlike plastic (which would have just been molded into this exact form), the substance used on this screen had to be cut. Suggesting that it's less likely to be plastic.