Moment seems to be better built?Support

Last Updated:

1. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On the fence so long with whether to buy a Moment or Hero.

Back and forth betweens both forums it appears the Moment had\has better quality control (physically) out the door. Hero owners having the dust under screen, 3.5mm jack issues, lag issues (when not rooted).

Both seem to share battery quirks. Hero seemed to solve the GPS issues with it's UI, but the Moment should have that fixed on next update.

I think I'm confident the Moment will be the right choice. Heard people say HTC's are better built but doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

More people seem to be going Hero>Moment and not vice versa. Being a Moment forum hopefully everyone is not biased, but am I way off in my assessment?

Advertisement
  2. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

More people are going from Hero to Moment because the Hero came out first and everyone jumped on that first. I was one of those that went Hero > Moment and I think it was a good choice.

My lag wasnt bad on the Hero, but it was there. I dont have any of the lag issues I did on the Hero with the Moment. Ive said before that Ive never lag dialed someone on my Moment, cant say the same on the Hero. I used to lag dial the wrong people all the time.

I also had dust under the glass of my Hero. Which is why it went back and I figured as long as I had to take it back, I might as well try the Moment.

Neither phone is perfect. The batter/battery meter and GPS/Location Services are the big flaws of the Moment. Both, which hopefully will be corrected. I can live with those two issues until they get resolved. What you need to decide is if you can. Some people need the GPS to just work. I dont think anyones overly worried about the battery (meter) issues.

Is the Moment better? In my opinion, it is, but thats the thing. Its just *MY* opinion. And as the old saying goes. Opinions are like Aholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

3. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

4. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I was going to type this on my touchscreen on the moment, but then after 2 typos I decided to slide out the keyboard....I honestly was not going to mention that in my review, but oh well. I was not sure which phone to get either, so I went to the store and played with the hero for another 30 mins and again I went home with the moment after finding dust under the glass and after watching choppy youtube videos. The load time was similar, but each time the hero was slower. It is all those small things that I know would add up and I don't want to deal with them.

5. Woody4OU

Woody4OU Well-Known Member

I went to purchase the Hero and the Moment arrived the day before. I played with both for 30 minutes and bought two Moments. The overall feel of the device and faster processing sold me.
    To me, the similarities are or so close...the addition of a seperate keyboard for my man fingers was the deciding point.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Software will always be updated, physical features like keyboards & faster CPU (of the Moment) can't be updated later.

That was the deciding point for me between the Hero / Moment.

The Moment may not have as a cool UI as the Hero, but that can be addressed in 3rd party apps, or in future Android updates.

The Moment is, for me, by far the better choice.

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Own both. Use the Moment. It has a little wiggle when closed. Feels extremely solid when open. Outside of quite a few things being snappier, there are a few things I miss about the Hero. Mostly user friendly features that are part of Sense. Sense goes a bit deeper than I thought even after I disabled it. Simple things in the calendar, dialer, email and such. They really did a nice job with it, and I'd imagine Sense along with 2.0 will be really nice. Just a shame they don't make a slider version. So still sticking with the Moment and hoping 2.0 brings about some nice improvements.

8. nickc71

nickc71 Active Member

I have a Hero now - and really thinking of going to the Moment or Pre... You'd probably see in a lot of forums that a lot of Hero owners aren't getting all of their text messages - as I have not been getting (this is the biggest of many issues)... Sprint said that once they are gone you won't get them back (i.e. they aren't stored in a bank so that you'll get them as soon as whatever that's screwing it up is repaired)...

Most people on the forums say its a Hero issue and not a Sprint issue... Does this happen with the Moment too? Or have you guys been getting all your sms messages?

9. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Welcome to AF.

As far as I know, I get all my texts. At least at this point I havent had anyone say "Did you get my text?" and had to respond with No.

Could be different for other people though.

10. redman2563

redman2563 Well-Known Member

I'm a happy moment user and I succesfully send and receive text, mms, email. thought you might like to know=)

11. nickc71

nickc71 Active Member

Glad to know! I was having other issues with the Hero (blurry pics, laggy when Sense UI is enabled, etc.) - but the missing SMS thing is just something that is kind of unacceptable.

So my question now is, when I go to replace my Hero with the Moment... There is no way of getting out of the $35 restocking fee with Sprint now is there? :)

I mean this isn't simply switching out because of preference... I read where other people switched to three other Hero's and were still missing texts...

HTC did say they were working on a fix for the missing text issue - which would probably be out in a couple of weeks, and that's past my 30 day trade in perios....

12. lesl15

lesl15 Member

I wanted the Hero. Got the Moment for the KB. Going back to the Hero! Moment is sooo boring and bulky. Slideout slidesout when you don't want it to. Also, slideout KB--while well lit, you do not know what is symbol or what is cap. it is not a system that makes sense.

13. souljah335

souljah335 Well-Known Member

You can have them get rid of the 35 dollar restocking fee by just calling them and dealing with sprint on the phone. Its much easier than dealing with the guys at the sprint store.

14. nickc71

nickc71 Active Member

WOW!! I tried a working Moment for the first time at a Sprint store - and that baby FLIES compared to my Hero! Pretty sure I'm going to make the change tomorrow - I liked the keyboard, much better than the Droid, and the onscreen keyboard I was able to use better than the Hero's...

15. redman2563

HAHA, its a phone that has potential, it lags a bit sometimes because the firmware was a bit rushed, its got the right hardware just needs some bug fixes here and there. stupid samsung theyre lagging it. I like mine overall tho.

16. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I prefer the Hero but my wife has the Moment and is quite happy with it. It's a little bulky for me (especially compared to the Hero), but my wife definitely wanted the keyboard. Here's to wishing success for both devices!

17. redman2563

HAHA indeed although i think once the os is fully polished i think the moment will triumph due to the hardware.