• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Momentous Day!

forty2

Sep 30, 2009
Anybody else get their Moment early?

IMG_7347.JPG

There have been rumors that it will be shipping with Android 1.6, even though all of the review versions had 1.5.

Can you check the version of Android and share, please.

I dropped by my local Sprint store after work today, and they did have a display unit that I played with. The display unit had 1.5, which is not encouraging.

Upvote 0
There have been rumors that it will be shipping with Android 1.6, even though all of the review versions had 1.5.

Can you check the version of Android and share, please.

I dropped by my local Sprint store after work today, and they did have a display unit that I played with. The display unit had 1.5, which is not encouraging.

Definitely 1.5, awesome none the less.

Upvote 0
I've only had it for about nine hours but so far I'm really liking it. I've had a number of various smartphones in the past for my job including a Treo, Blackberry, Moto Q, and an iPhone. This however is my first non-dumbphone that I've purchased for myself. Initial impressions are that it beats everything in my past other than the iPhone hands down. As for the iPhone, there are strengths and weaknesses to each, the big advantage the Moment has so far is that I've yet to drop a call.

I'll post further thoughts as I get more time with it.

Upvote 0
Here's my promised further thoughts.

Hard keyboard - I hate soft keyboards, the iPhone one is the best I've ever seen but in my 8 months of iPhone usage I just couldn't bring myself to like it. My fat fingers combined with the phone's inability to recognize the most common of four letter words. Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the stupidity of the Treo/Q/BB keyboards that I hate so much, this is much more spacious.

Vanilla Android - Sure, I played with Sense UI, I just don't get the appeal. I don't need the gloss, I want simple and fast. I don't need to know the current weather from the homescreen, I'll look out the window. I also don't have any desire to have my Facebook and MySpace(does anyone still use MySpace?) contacts mixed in with my regular ones(a'la Blur), if I want to talk to the people I went to high school with, they'd be in my regular contacts. I like my social networking "friends" separate from my real world friends. Also, I'm betting that 2.0 comes to Moment before Hero(not that I care all that much).

Screen - F'ing fantastic. I heard lot of good things plus a little not good in direct sunlight. It's fine, I'm not expecting the world in direct sunlight but it's better than most anything else I've seen short of eInk. Unless of course you're reflecting that sunlight off the screen into your eyes and expecting to see anything, then you're just a dipshit.

Call quality - Great. I've had a lot of Samsung dumbphones and I expected nothing less. My advice, turn the volume down before you're first usage.

Sprint - I don't ant to get too deep into a CDMA v. GSM or Sprint v. VZW, but the simple answer is that it works, it's cheap, ad if I don't like it I'm eligible for an upgrade in 12 months.

Neutral:

Optical trackpad - It's okay, I hate trackballs and would prefer a d-pad. It's a decent compromise and I haven't had any trouble making it work but more often than not I'm using the touchscreen or keyboard to navigate.

Size - Not that bad really, I've had phones in the past that were over an inch thick, actually fits in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans better than my iPhone did(the iPhone was in a case BTW)

Browser - I don't like it, but I don't hate it. Firefox is officially on the way so I'm hopeful for what that'll bring. I tried to run Opera but it didn't want to start.

Dislikes:

Keyboard bottom row - Every single review has called this out and I've been typing "b" in the place of "n" a lot. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Nuance voice control - Worst voice control I've ever used. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel and voice control is pretty important to me. I don't know if it's me, the program, background noise getting picked up by an overly sensitive mic, or what but it's not working out so well for me just yet.

Camera flash - Auto flash please, changing it manually every time is a pain and it seems like a no brainer to me. I couldn't care less about the lack of menu options but that the camera doesn't know to turn on the flash when it's dark, that's just plain dumb.

Micro SD location - Seriously. Hot swap should be an option, maybe it already is, but it's impossible to pull the card without first pulling the battery.

That's about it for now. The jury's still out on battery life, I'm a heavy user and batteries need to cycle some before full life can be expected so we'll just have to see.

Upvote 0
I traded my Hero in on this I do not regret it one bit. The Hero is all flash and shine but lacks in the performance department....It's kinda like a Porshce versus a Corvette. The Porsche might impress your neighbors, but the Corvette does everything just as well and FASTER! Anyway, I love it.

And to the above poster, the Nuance voice dialer is absolutely the best in the business. You may not be doing it correctly or maybe something is wrong. You do have to say "Call" before your contacts name...not just their name. If it is difficult name, pronounce it like it is spelled...not necessarily how it is supposed to be pronounced. I have a buddy we call "Legend". If I pronounce the G as hard instead of soft then it works better. Anyway, it works very very well. It was on the Instinct as well and was one of the shining spots of that phone.....so I guess I have a years experience with it. Keep working with it. ANd if it doesn't get better, get some help.

Upvote 0
Got mine this morning at BB. There were many people trading in Zeros, and this was just after they opened the doors... seems maybe the Heros newness wore off? It did for me, laggy, freezing, camcorder not working, apps crashing (not apps fault)... it grew old fast.

The Moment is so much better, at least for me. Maybe I had a defective Hero, it was terrible... one of the worst phones I've owned. Comparing the screen with that of my girlfriends MT3G (or the Hero), with the jelly fish wallpaper its astonishing the difference... The camera, while not amazing or anything, sure smoked the hero's in terms of quality, sharpness and contrast. Importing photos from both cameras onto a PC and you'll notice the difference immediatly.

Upvote 0
It's been about a week since I replaced my Treo 755 with a Moment, and I'm still liking it. This includes the quirks with the battery, and such. My wife who is a Verizon subscriber has dragged me three times to the nearest store in an attempt to convince me to return the Moment, and cancel my contract for a Droid (for which she said she'd pay for any costs associated with).

I keep walking out with my Moment in hand. Yes, the droid is nice, but I won't get into a this vs. that here. Let's just say I'm a bigger tech geek than she is, plus I need tethering.

Screen is beautiful, key board is an improvement from my previous phone, GPS, web surfing or clicking on a link in an email actually is an enjoyable experience, + I can get to my corporate email! And the one thing I truly truly love about this phone is that dang touch sensitive d-pad. That thing rules!

I got my fingers crossed like everyone else regarding Android 2.0!

(The Treo 755p will be spared Ebay/Craigslist. It was to me the epitome of the Treo series dating back to my Treo 600. Palm finally came close to getting it right, and to me it signifys the end of an era that was overtaken by Apple in a blink of an eye, but now I welcome Android. An OS that is backed by a company that will one day soon rule the planet.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones