• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Monitoring an Android phone, legal?

aliceask

Lurker
Jan 18, 2013
Hi!
I just check on internet and i discover a monitoring app for android phones 100% free! (the only one i can find)
That app is Bosspy and allows you to get a copy of messages, Gps locations, calls details and the keylogger file of the phone...
To keep an eyes on my children's it's really perfect but is it legal to use? :thinking:

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

Mate I'm not sure but I would think its legal.
Also I would say that if you feel the need to track your children then perhaps they are not ready to have a phone or any technological device.
Also I have moved your thread to the apllications section as you are asking if an app is legal. :rolleyes:

Hope you get the answer you need :D

Upvote 0
And of course you have to trust that the sneaky monitoring app is completely honest about who it shares its information with... After all you wouldn't want those keylogs, and messages to be misused by someone else.

I have no idea how trustworthy the app the OP posted is (or isn't) but it is probably a factor he (or she) should consider along side the legal ones...

Reactions: ebusinesstutor
Upvote 0
IANYL either but I doubt its legal.

I understand what you are going through but honestly, as long as your kids don't figure out that there is such app installed, you could take a chance.
Should they find out any way, it will become a trust issue and that could be lot more difficult to handle. So you might as well want to educate them (which I am sure you are trying).

Upvote 0
... and allows you to get a copy of messages, Gps locations, calls details and the keylogger file of the phone...

It's inexpensive, so just install Cerberus (after rooting), remove the icon and remotely turn on/off tracking whenever you feel the need. Tracking, Call and SMS logs are available from any browser anywhere once logged into your Cerberus account.

Keylogging crosses the line of decency though, and isn't available in Cerberus.

Upvote 0
Little Darwin has a good point. Do you trust that app provider to track your kids? And it isn't on Google Play so it could be dodgy.

As the guardian of your children, you likely have the legal right to track their cell phone use as you are paying for the phone. But probably not for your girlfriend or spouse.

How would you feel if your spouse did this to your phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones