Monoprice Cable with Monoprice USB Charger Doesn't WorkAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So recently a few members had pointed out this usb wall charger and male usb to male micro usb cable from Monoprice. Well, I got mine just now, and tried them out. Turns out that when using the cable and wall charger plugged into the Inc., the phone is not usable for some reason. The touch screen is inoperable (touching the screen does nothing). However, the battery icon at the top shows charging, and the screen will wake up.

So it seems that there is possibly an incompatibility issue with the charger. The cable works fine in a computer for charging, or transferring data.

**Not mislead anyone, it turns out it's the Monoprice charger that's the issue, NOT the cables.**

Advertisement
  2. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

I bought 5 mini-micro converters to use with all the mini usb cables I have in my house and car... It allows me to charge the phone at the computer but not communicate with the phone. Good enough for me, as I bought the converters really for the car and the other chargers in the house.

3. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Try resetting your phone. I have been using the mono price chargers for about 4 days now with no issues at all.

5. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I got a monoprice charger + cable and it works fine for me. (I think this is a hit or miss thing)

6. cmantelope

cmantelope Well-Known Member

yes, also bought two wall chargers, (monoprice) and three diff usb cable lengths, all work great - and I am able to use the phone at the same time

7. geoffd

geoffd Active Member

Its a crap shoot from what I've read on the forums about these chargers... I have 2 and none of them work

8. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Works fine for me.. got a pair of the gold plated cables and the white chargers with the red led -- good to go.

9. woop

How come not the black one? I know this is an aesthetics issue but I think the black looks nicer on the wall too;)

10. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Same exact setup I got (except the black charger) and they won't work for me. No biggie, cables work fine and everything together was under $4 :D

11. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Mine froze up after having it on Sync mode with my comp, running logcat, and turning off my computer. I plugged it in to the HTC charger and it froze. I unplugged it from the charger and it worked fine. Plugged it back in and it was fine again. Dunno what happened.

12. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean by reset? I have the monoprice charger and have no screen when charging

13. woop

Turning off and on the device..?

14. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

Cables are fine - it's definitely the chargers. I bought two that do the same thing. It doesn't matter if you use the HTC cable either, the chargers have an issue. The real question is - is it bad for the phone? I am not taking the chance and will not use them. Since they were a few bucks, I'm writing it off. I got two car chargers at the same time from them and they work fine.

Won't make a difference unfortunately

15. question729

question729 Well-Known Member

Count me in for getting a bum wall charger from Monoprice. The car charger works fine though.

16. crackers8199

the weird thing is that the monoprice wall chargers work fine with my ipod touch...very strange.

17. cb85215

cb85215 Active Member

Mine works fine on the HTC supplied charger and on another cheapie USB charger, but is totally jacked using my old Blackberry charger.

Seems to be very hit or miss on non-HTC chargers :confused:

18. crackers8199

also very weird, because i used my boss's blackberry charger last weekend with no issues. very hit or miss...

would be great if we could somehow compile a list of what chargers work and what ones don't...

19. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

all my monoprice cables work fine on my INC

20. crackers8199

yeah, the cables are fine...we're talking about the wall usb power adapters that are causing issues. the cables work fine if plugged into the oem charger or a computer usb port.

21. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

I have not tried my wall charger but the car charger from monoprice works fine. Where the wall charger is not working for some of you, what is the current rating? The htc provided charger is 1A as is the car charger I am using. Did you maybe buy the 500mA charger? I know the phone pulls a lower current from usb, but maybe it requires a data signal to charge at the lower current. Just a theory.

22. woop

From what i understand, most people got the 1 A one as there was a link circulating for it.

23. crackers8199

For reference if anyone is curious, the dlo powerbug for gps (model slg96472/17) works just fine using the monoprice cables. It comes with a mini-usb cable so you can't use that obviously, but plugging a monoprice 10' micro-usb cable in worked just fine.

Got mine at ollies for $5.

edit: here's a link... http://www.amazon.com/DLO-DLG96472-17-Power-Charger/dp/B001S0WDBA

edit2: just a note, the phone indicates it's only plugged into usb when charging on the powerbug, so it does take a bit longer to charge.

24. knightwing44

knightwing44 Well-Known Member

Same issue for me.

All wires I bought work great.

3 car chargers work great too.

2 wall chargers - CRAP OUT - slow the phone down to the point that I can't use it.

knight

25. geoffd

geoffd Active Member

So I ordered 2 of the wall chargers from Monoprice and I had the same issue a lot had where the slide to unlock screen is unresponsive. I filed a RMA on Monoprice and requested they send me 2 replacements since they were to cheap for a refund and some of them worked for others. At the time I filed this the wall chargers (product # 6767) were on back order. They became available on Friday and I just received my new chargers yesterday. They are a completely different product from the first ones I received and they NOW WORK. So it looks like the new shipment of wall chargers Monoprice are good to go.

For only $1.75 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000mA) - Black | Power to USB Converters