• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Month to month question

heddhunter

Lurker
Jul 27, 2010
I've got a potential gig developing an Android app, and I would obviously need an actual Android device to test on while working on it. I am not interested in a long term contract as I will only be doing this for a few months, tops, and I've already got an iPhone 4 for use as my real day-to-day phone.

My question is: If I pay full retail for the Droid X and get month to month service, what happens when the service runs out? Does the Droid still work at all? Obviously it won't make calls or do SMS, but hopefully it will still run apps, play music, work on wi-fi internet... That's the way the iPhone works, so I'm hoping it's true of Android as well. It would suck to have it turn into a paperweight! I guess I could always try to sell it, but I wouldn't mind having an Android device without phone service.

I'm definitely not interested in a subsidized/contract deal. Too expensive. I wouldn't be able to make enough money from the development contract to cover it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones