• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More battery tips

thoffland

Feb 2, 2011
I just found this thread and this guy seems to make sense about ram using up battery life and ATK. I'm going to try ATK tomorrow all day and see what happens. One thing he mentions which I would have missed, and I know a friend of mine did too is to have ATK kill itself as well, this way it's not running in the background. I have it set to run every 2 hours.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/276830-comprehensive-battery-guide.html

I did try JuiceDefender today and got 14 hours out of my phone before it asked me to plug it back in, not bad, but I want more!! It could be that my battery is getting conditioned (as mentioned in above link) or that juicedefender actually does something right.

I'm also running Screebl which keeps your screen on while your looking at it/using your phone at an angle you can define. mine is between 5% and 85%. Once I set it down it knows it's laying flat and I have it shut of after 15 seconds... very nice little app.

I'm also using Profile Valet which turns on/off some settings and screen brightness based on location or time. I really like this, makes the smartphone even smarter.

Other things I've done to prepare for tomorrow is removed the Friends Stream widget and disabled the sync since I don't use it, and also the mail widget since I don't use that either. I'm optimistic that tomorrow I'll have some good battery life going on!

Reactions: Blanco720
X1.17

Yesterday my battery was at 40% around 5 PM. Today I was at 60% with pretty much the same usage.

Oh I wanted to mention that I did not charge my phone properly on the first charge like everyone says to do. Unfortunately I decided to find out info AFTER I got the phone. I'm new to Android so I kinda winged it at first.

Well that's a good 20% bump. Did you just leave it in default?

Upvote 0
I have to agree that JuiceDefender works. I shut it off for today to see if ATK would help, but at 4pm I was down to yellow on the battery.. 30%?? Yesterday when I ran it it did much better. Might be worth paying for the addon for it.

Tomorrow I'll run both and see what happens there... slowly but surely I'm finding a solution for the best battery life.

Upvote 0
Those apps pretty much do the same things you can go into the settings and do yourself.

I prefer to manage the features myself and decide when i want them to run and when i dont...

This is no "magic" app...it does not some how electrify your battery just by its presense. All they do is turn off various settings and lower the brightness etc. I do the same thing with a screen full of power widgets except that i actually KNOW whats going on with my phone rather than letting some semi-******ed app decide those things for me...

YMMV

I am 6 hours into my charge today with 68% of my charge left so far...

Upvote 0
Those apps pretty much do the same things you can go into the settings and do yourself.

Well mainly I find that Juicedefender helps the most when my phone is idle. I keep my autosync and stuff on and I can have my phone idle an entire class period (about an hour and 15 minutes) and not lose any juice or at most 1%. Like I said before, I'm new to this operating system so for now I like to have this little bit of help until I'm more educated on the topic.

Upvote 0
I just turn on auto-sync etc every few hours manually using a widget. As far as idle...over 70% of your battery usage is going to the SCREEN so its really more about how much you use it and how bright the screen is set to than anything else. All of the other tweaks COMBINED probably only add up to a few % in increase time compared to screen management. I always hit the screen lock button when im setting it down so it wont even run the extra 15-30 second lock out time...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones