More noob questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. rubthemtogether

rubthemtogether New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. I've just recently got a Desire Z, and I'm wondering if you can answer some of my questions.

I'm going to buy a backup battery. Do I need to use the same one? Does anyone know a good UK-based place to buy it from?

I can't seem to find a widget to turn 3G on and off, am I missing something?

Some apps and the home screen only rotate to landscape when I pull out my...keyboard. Is there a way to get them to rotate when I just turn the phone?

Apologies if these are obvious questions, I'm new to all this. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. meadway

meadway Member

Everyone's a newbie with the Z.

I've used batteries-man.co.uk in the past. Haven't looked myself as I don't want to remove the Z battery do get the part no, but they might be worth a try.

I've found the display sometimes doesn't move into landscape unless the keyboard is deployed. I'm keeping a note of mini-bugs to pass to HTC next week some time.

The phone will work with whatever it can find: GSM, EDGE, 3G, whatever.

HTC's support people are extremely helpful in my experience; they got me set up wirelessly syncing my Outlook calendar, for instance. Don't be frightened to contact them.

Have you looked at the full manual? It's on the HTC website and on the Z. Just fire up the Adobe reader and hit the PDF tab.

HTH
    John

3. Menddles

Menddles Guest

For the replacement battery you can try play.com? I think the "Genuine" batteries are made by HTC, but do some more research into that because I'm not too sure. I'm always feel a bit weird about buying 3rd party batteries.

To get a 3G widget on your home screen go to Add Widget>Settings>Mobile Network.

As for how to rotate the home screen....I haven't got a clue and would like to know myself lol.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

The rotating issue appears to be programmed into how the home screens behave. It appears to be by design. I used to own an N97 and I find that it has the opposite problem. It always rotates and there are some times where I do not want it to rotate like when I am answering a call. It's only natural to tilt the phone when you pick it up to answer the call and the N97 keeps switching between portrait and landscape. It then takes time to redraw the screen in the new orientation which delays me when I try to swipe to answer the call.

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to control what auto rotates. I know that the Facebook app does not auto rotate in the main screen when tilted either. It seems the FB main screen is not designed to be in landscape even with the keyboard open. Once you go into the news feeds, it tilts normally.

5. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

If you install Cyanogen you can have it auto rotate at 90

6. meadway

meadway Member

I've never telephoned them. Always received rapid helpful replies from the webpage support.

7. rubthemtogether

rubthemtogether New Member This Topic's Starter

That's great help everybody, thank you

8. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

On my G2, the home screen rotating issue was taken care of after I installed launcherpro. Does that work nice with Sense?

As for battery, if you want an extended life battery, it's been reported that batteries designed for the EVO, Incredible, and Hero can be fitted into the G2/DZ with a little coaxing. Otherwise you can wait for official DZ branded batteries, those will probably cost a little more for the time being.

9. bigiain

bigiain New Member

I got a spare battery along with my DZ from mobilefun.co.uk - it was