1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

More precise text entry (like on iPhone)

1. btdownloads7

btdownloads7 Member

Is there any way to do better text entry? I have the Motorola Droid, and correcting mistakes is absolutely terrible. Trying to get the cursor at the exact point where you want to make an edit is virtually impossible without multiple tries. Isn't there an app that allows for something like the magnifying glass on the iPhone?

Advertisement
  2. bthoward

bthoward Well-Known Member

I usually just click and get it really close then use the d-pad to get things done.
  3. btdownloads7

btdownloads7 Member

Yeah, but I hate using the hardware keyboard -- too many extra steps involved. I would have thought that people would have been pretty pissed at the rediculous lack of this ability and made an app for it (especially the ones without the hardware keyboards).
  4. itype2slo

itype2slo Well-Known Member

I removed the autocorrect and have been much happier with the results.
  5. MSU

MSU Well-Known Member

Thant dang auto correct is killing me. I need to shut it off. It keeps changing what I want to something else. I txt my gf the other day and it had changed one of my words to a girls name!!! LOL I had to explain it was my phone. :(
  6. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

Learning how to properly make use of the autocorrect feature is also an option. ;-)
  7. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

how can i turn off auto correct?
  8. MSU

MSU Well-Known Member

True, I keep forgetting to just select the word I want up top while typing, but I'm new to the onscreen keyboard and I don't use the slide out.

aaronmach1, you can turn it off in your settings,
  9. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

That's exactly right. It takes a while to get used to, but once you realize that you can just tap the word and move on, it significantly improves typing speed, especially for longer words. No way would I turn it off, personally.
  10. itype2slo

itype2slo Well-Known Member

For onscreen keyboard
    settings<language and keyboard settings< android keyboard< Auto-complete

For Device keyboard
    settings<language and keyboard settings< device keyboard< Auto-replace
  11. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

thanks!
  12. galt

galt Well-Known Member

auto-correct is sometimes a PITA. I wish the soft keyboard had arrow keys for editing, so I could avoid switching to hard keyboard just to use the dpad. I wonder how hard it would be to program a popup arrow set whenever you did longpress (Or better - doubletap) in a text box?
  13. l3rian

l3rian Active Member

I had been using the slideout keyboard almost exclusively when I got my droid because I had never used an onscreen keyboard before and I was most comfortable with it.. I have since been trying out the touchscreen keyboard.

The landscape board is really nice and accurate. Too be honest, I'm not sure how much I would use it because the slide out is one push a way and I feel more in control with the slide out..

The portait keyboard I thought I would hate because the keys just look way too small for me to do any typing. But I have been very surprised! It's actually pretty accurate- and even if it's not, it doesn't matter because the autocorrect is soo good as long as you pay attention to it! I decided to just type as fast as I could for fun on it and I was making mistakes everywhere with it but the autocorrect fixed all of them I started cracking up! It's almost like if you're in the general vacinity of the keys you wanna press, it will figure it out... very cool:cool:
  14. dakoop

dakoop Well-Known Member

Sure, wink wink. We believe you.
  15. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Once I got used to how the phone auto corrects text, I became much more confident and comfortable with how I type. Instead of trying to make sure each key I press was correct, I just fly through the typing and usually the phone knows what I am trying to say.

Sure it makes mistakes, especially with "non standard" words, but overall I much rather have it on auto correct than trying to make sure each key I press is the right one.
  16. baka

baka Well-Known Member

another thing is try switching to "better keyboard." i found that helped me quite a bit. plus you can try out the various keyboard skins and see which one works best for you. i dont miss much about my old iphone, but i have been finding that i type slower on the soft keyboard and make more mistakes. :(
  17. mxrider821

mxrider821 Well-Known Member

ya i wanted to know the same exact thing! i was just gonna make a thread about this, im glad you did ;)
  18. mxrider821

mxrider821 Well-Known Member

just to let you know the auto correction kinda sucks :p on this phone, if you've ever used an iphone you would know what im talking about. i hate to use the iphone as a reference but its true
  19. baka

baka Well-Known Member

bleh... iphone wasnt all that much better. case in point - i commented on a friends facebook page and tried to write lost but apparently hit losr and iphone changed it to loser which caused an issue.... every iphone user i know has gotten extremely frustrated with the auto-correct at some point. thats why apple finally gave the option to turn it off.
  20. l3rian

l3rian Active Member

I've never owned an Iphone, true. I have used an Iphone and an Ipod touch a couple times and I really hated it's auto-correct. Granted, I know I probably didn't spend nearly enough time to learn its intricacies and how to work it correctly. It would always change every single word I typed into something I didn't want and I was clueless as to how to get it to say what I actually wanted. Again, I realize it's gotta be way better than how I am describing, but I thought Apple products were supposed to be intuitive?

Android's auto-correct seems to work fine for me and from the first time I tried it, I understood how it was setup.. I'm not sure how to improve over that.
  21. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member

those "non standard" words you are referring to can be added to the user dictionary, just adding 4 or 5 words to the dictionary made my experience a thousand times better
  22. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

for those that dont know- you can just find them on the suggestions bar and then press and hold and it rememebers them.
  23. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

This what I've been doing since I got the phone and now that it remembers everything I type it's so much better. I'll agree auto correct doesn't spell what we want at times, but after some use and adding the words into the phone's dictionary, it's smart enough to remember it the next time you're typing it. Like all other programs, just take the time to add the words that you use into the dictionary.
  24. btdownloads7

btdownloads7 Member

Well, thanks for all of your suggestions, but they are just workarounds. I actually use the HTC touch input, which is by far the best of any alternative keyboards that I've tried -- but that doesn't excuse the fact that in over a year of the existence of the Android OS there is no easy way to precisely input text and edit your entry.
  25. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Is the HTC Touch keyboard available to install on the Droid? If so, where can I find it?