• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MortPlayer Audio Books (beta): For audio books & podcasts, give MortPlayer a try

arlittell

Lurker
Apr 21, 2010
You know what I hate? When my music player is smarter than I am. Sometimes I don't want my phone to flip cover art, anticipate my musical moods, or group my podcasts by (often incorrect) tags. Sometimes I just want it to play audio. If your podcast/audio book collection is very organized, tagged correctly and completely, and generally consists of well-know authors, there are better audio players out there for you. For those of us with more eclectic tastes, and poor organizational skills, there exists MortPlayer. MortPlayer is a free audio player that organizes and plays audio based on the folder location, not the metadata tags. This can be a godsend for anyone who listens to random podcasts or that mp3 your friend sent you from that "great new band" his neighbor's kid is in.
MortPlayer comes in two flavors, and each is a separate download. There is a MortPlayer for music and a MortPlayer for audio books. Both exhibit a basic, no frills layout with all the normal controls one would expect from any audio player. MortPlayer for audio books, offers some unique features. It auto-saves and auto-restores your position for each individual track, as well as allowing for manual bookmarks in each track, both of which make listening to audio books or long podcasts much easier. This means that it's possible to stop in the middle of a podcast, listen to a little music, then pick up right where you left off. MortPlayer also offers a set of widgets in still another download that give you basic music controls right on the android desktop.

Pros:

* Offers an enjoyable audio book or podcast experience
* Greatly simplified from Windows Mobile versions
* The price is right

Cons:

* Why do I have to download 3 different apps to get all features???

Special Notes: MortPlayer is still in beta, so expect the occasional bug.

Final Verdict: If you listen to a ton of audio books and long podcasts, or if your metadata tags are in disarray, definitely give MortPlayer a try. Otherwise, there are better options out there.

I find the GUI for the App to be cluttered and not intuitive in the least. Move I find that the support for some aspects of the operation to be non-existent. I have not been able to sort out how to scroll thru a track. When ever I start the player it begins at the beginning and pressing the symbol to cause it to jump ahead (10 seconds?) work. I am baffled and frustrated. If you have some guidance you can email me a humphster@gmail.com

Upvote 0
Can someone please HELP ME! :) I've downloaded mortplayer audiobooks & libirvox downloader, I've downloaded a book but mortplayer won't play it? just stayes at 0. how do I get it it play oris libirvox crap? if so can you recomemd a free audiobooks app? many thanks xx
I am also experiencing the same problem, I can not get any audio book app to work, I have downloaded existing audio book files onto my 32gb ext card into a folder called audio books but either get a corrupted lie message or as with mort player above just stays at 0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones