• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mosque Being Built 2 Blocks Away From Ground Zero... What Do You Think?

Since you think Muslims should have a right to build a Mosque on Ground Zero, you must think that Christians have the right to build a church on a concentration camp too, right?

Try to explain to me the difference.

Why not? I have no issues with either. To be fair though, this proposed mosque is not being built on Ground Zero. It's being built 3 blocks away.

Upvote 0
Then why is Ground Zero even being mentioned? Why isn't it "Mosque being built 300 feet away from Starbucks?

Because its an election year. The story is a tool for one party to use against the other.

Honestly though, to deny an american citizen to build and practice their religion somewhere is against our constitution. We can't pick and choose which americans get those freedoms.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If it's legal to build a COMMUNITY CENTER 3 blocks away from ground zero... why should we stop it? Out of hate? Out of fear? I can't see any other reason.

I know that a lot of people do not like Keith Olbermann... but he put it very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0&feature=popt00us05

There's so much misinformation here about this so called "mosque" that it drives me crazy.

Reactions: Zenze and Storm613
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow. Thank you for posting this.

No problem.

He put it better than any of us can. He essentially annihilated any opposition with that commentary alone. Of course though... there will be people who refuse to watch it and just continue spattering on or just watch a small piece of it and turn it off because it goes against his/her already preconceived conclusions.

Upvote 0
wow, that was quite a bit of horse crap. so essentially if you have any compassion for the people that are still grieving you are akin to a nazi sympathizer. rediculous.

Did you watch the whole thing... and I mean, WHOLE THING... not the first 2 minutes and truly understand what he was saying? That was completely not what he meant when he was talking about The Holocaust. Seems like someone should work for Fox News. :p

Sounds like someone fell under this...

"He put it better than any of us can. He essentially annihilated any opposition with that commentary alone. Of course though... there will be people who refuse to watch it and just continue spattering on or just watch a small piece of it and turn it off because it goes against his/her already preconceived conclusions."

Upvote 0
Keith is wrong about Cordoba. I know with absolute certainty that Islamic fundamentalists are proud of the Muslim conquest in Spain and cite it as a symbol of Islam's victory over Christendom in the past.

I mean what a bunch of bs. They want to promote peace and understanding by using the name of a place Muslims CONQUERED and OCCUPIED for 400 years by defeating the Christians there?

Upvote 0
Keith is wrong about Cordoba. I know with absolute certainty that Islamic fundamentalists are proud of the Muslim conquest in Spain and cite it as a symbol of Islam's victory over Christendom in the past.

I mean what a bunch of bs. They want to promote peace and understanding by using the name of a place Muslims CONQUERED and OCCUPIED for 400 years by defeating the Christians there?

You didn't watch the whole thing... did you? The name of the community center has been changed to Park 51.

Upvote 0
Did you watch the whole thing and truly understand what he was saying? Where did you infer that from?

i cut out after the nazi reference. despite his eloquent use of the niemoler quote, no one is "coming for" muslims. no one is passing legislation to prevent anyone from worshiping or even to tell them where they can or can not. i've seen enough of olberman to know that he wasnt going anywhere reasonable from there. honeslty, he's no better than beck or any of his crowd. it's the same song that every supporter of the mosque has been singing to shame any opposition into silence.

fact: on september 11 2001 the world trade center was attacked and destroyed, killing thousands of people.

fact: people who were directly affected by this attack and live in the area are still grieving. this is not a rational process but an emotional one.

fact: attacking these people, and those who comprehend that they are hurting by calling them racists, bigots and xenophobes, is actually hurting the cause of the supporters(the word's racist and bigot have been thrown around like candy at a parade and xenaphobe by definition)

i have no personal stake in this argument, but i refuse to lend my voice of support to anyone who can not articulate an argument without hatred vitriol and slander.

Upvote 0
Did you watch the whole thing... and I mean, WHOLE THING... not the first 2 minutes and truly understand what he was saying? That was completely not what he meant when he was talking about The Holocaust. Seems like someone should work for Fox News. :p

Sounds like someone fell under this...

"He put it better than any of us can. He essentially annihilated any opposition with that commentary alone. Of course though... there will be people who refuse to watch it and just continue spattering on or just watch a small piece of it and turn it off because it goes against his/her already preconceived conclusions."

if you want people to listen to all you have to say it's best not to give even the apearance of comparing them to nazis or nazi sympathizers. i turned it off, because i have heard all that crap before. if you can come up with a new, rational, reasoned out argument then i'm all ears. but if it's going to be a sad panda story about the big mean government oppressing the poor innocent muslims(when the government has not acted or legislated in any way whatsoever in this, nor should they.) then it's the same plaid out lies and propaganda and there is no need for me to waste my time on it any more than i would waste my time listening to someone bitching that this is going to be al quieda's US headquarters.

people in this nation have the right to worship as they see fit within reason(i place that caveate only to account for the lunatic fringe that would consider human sacrifice etc. to be a part of their "worship"). they also have the right to gather peacably. just as these rights pertain to muslims, jews, christians, hindus, etc. people also have the right to dissagree with where and how they do this and, in the civil arena, request a change. so if people who live with their memories of the 9/11 attacks every day are hurt and insulted by the placement of the mosque are opposed to it, they have a right to ask that it be changed without being ridiculed by people who's only agenda is verbaly beating people into submission.

Upvote 0
People in this nation have the right to worship as they see fit within reason. they also have the right to gather peacably. just as these rights pertain to muslims, jews, christians, hindus, etc. people also have the right to dissagree with where and how they do this and, in the civil arena, request a change. so if people who live with their memories of the 9/11 attacks every day are hurt and insulted by the placement of the mosque are opposed to it, they have a right to ask that it be changed without being ridiculed by people who's only agenda is verbaly beating people into submission.

I don't understand that contradiction. I agree that people who only just want to beat people into submission should keep their mouths shut. Freedom of speech though in America prevents that.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to beat people into submission... I'm simply defending the rights of Muslim Americans and all other religious citizens to practice their religion freely in Lower Manhattan if it is LAWFUL. It may be distasteful, but so many other things in this world... especially in the world of business is distasteful. It's part of everyday life.

"Americans of all faiths are not lining up behind this project because we are enthusiastic about it. We are lining up because we know what is at stake. Let there be no mistake, Park51 has morphed from a local community issue into a national test case for religious freedoms." - Washington Post

By the way... do you see this as just a mosque? You haven't seen the rest of the video so you missed a lot of actual information about this so called "mosque". It's a 13 story community center where the top 2 floors will be for worship. The rest will be used by the community of NYC. Also.. it's not even facing Ground Zero. It's in a desolate side street blocks away.

Upvote 0
I don't understand that contradiction. I agree that people who only just want to beat people into submission should keep their mouths shut. Freedom of speech though in America prevents that.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to beat people into submission... I'm simply defending the rights of Muslim Americans and all other religious citizens to practice their religion freely in Lower Manhattan if it is LAWFUL. It may be distasteful, but so many other things in this world... especially in the world of business is distasteful. It's part of everyday life.

"Americans of all faiths are not lining up behind this project because we are enthusiastic about it. We are lining up because we know what is at stake. Let there be no mistake, Park51 has morphed from a local community issue into a national test case for religious freedoms." - Washington Post

By the way... do you see this as just a mosque? You haven't seen the rest of the video so you missed a lot of actual information about this so called "mosque". It's a 13 story community center where the top 2 floors will be for worship. The rest will be used by the community of NYC. Also.. it's not even facing Ground Zero. It's in a desolate side street blocks away.

like i said, i have no personal stake in it. i dont care if it's "just a mosque" a community center, a pizzaria or a strip club.

the notion that anyone's rights are at stake here is complete and utter bullshit unless legal means are taken to forcibly stop them. i am aware that some groups have filed pettitions, and im not defending that and at this point they have all failed, making it a non-issue. what i am saying is that the instant "racist, bigot" or any similar inference enters the equation i automatically take the other side(assuming that such allegations are unfounded as they are in this case.)

Upvote 0
like i said, i have no personal stake in it. i dont care if it's "just a mosque" a community center, a pizzaria or a strip club.

the notion that anyone's rights are at stake here is complete and utter bullshit unless legal means are taken to forcibly stop them. i am aware that some groups have filed pettitions, and im not defending that and at this point they have all failed, making it a non-issue. what i am saying is that the instant "racist, bigot" or any similar inference enters the equation i automatically take the other side(assuming that such allegations are unfounded as they are in this case.)

Actually, legal means have been taken to try to shut down the project. People have filed legal injuctions, tried to get the spot designated a national monument, etc..... How do you explain the actions of those people?

Upvote 0
By the way, anyone who thinks Islam is a moderate or peaceful religion, doesn't know anything about Islam.

The religion was started by a man who violently destroyed the sacred statutes and holy places of his own people while shouting that his god is the only true god. Islam from day one has been a religion of exclusivity and intolerance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones