• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Most hard to figure out bootloop I've experienced or read about.

I know flashing new kernels and ROMs is what happenends here. :) My thing is sometimes you get comfortable and laxed in the process and don't pay as close attention and make a mistake or change in the process. Even the best make mistakes, it happenes. First thing I learned when I started learning about computer and electronics was that 99% percent of all problems are caused by the user. The other 1% is split between software/codes conflicts or hardware malfunction. Now in saying this I am not implying anything about anyone. I am suggesting it could have been a minor mistake or step out of order, though i am not stating that to say it is for sure. Just trying to find possible causes. One code or software conflict could send it into a loop. That is always a risk in flashing that past little bits could hang around and cause problems, so that is why I ask about the wiping. Also again there have been issues with ClockworkMod not wiping properly. So just because we think things have been deleted doesnt really mean they have been deleted.

One other question, did it do the random reboots from the beginning? Or was it after getting it runing and making any kind of change? So did you flash or load anything after falshing the ROM?

I am interested in getting a bootlooped EVO G4 to try things on if anyone has one they do not have to turn in. Contact me! I love messing with this stuff.

Hopefully a solution can be found so this can be a thing of the past, though new problems will always arise.

I didn't flash any custom kernels or anything. The only changes I had made was that I let Revolutionary root my phone and I wiped everything the correct way and installed the normal cm7.1 offered on their website. That's it. As far as random reboots, it was never really a problem until the past 2-3 months and it grew gradually worse.

Reactions: txtoddtattoo
Upvote 0
When you installed CM7.1 that is flashing. CM7.1 also flashes its own kernel on install. Was that the first ROM you installed upon rooting?

Did you adjust performance settings once you had CM7.1 installed?
Did you notice the phone being hotter than normal? Did anything else seem funny to you or act up before the loop?

Upvote 0
When you installed CM7.1 that is flashing. CM7.1 also flashes its own kernel on install. Was that the first ROM you installed upon rooting?

Did you adjust performance settings once you had CM7.1 installed?
Did you notice the phone being hotter than normal? Did anything else seem funny to you or act up before the loop?

Yes to it being the first ROM, no to everything else.

Upvote 0
I have been searching the threads at CM forum. A few reported problems such as random re-boots and a few have reported going into a boot loop but they were able to get out of it, but it was not stated how. Might drop the question over there. I have a hard time thinking its a hardware problem though it very well could be. How long have you had the phone? You got a new on now though correct?

Does anyone have a boot lop phone they want to part with or does anyone know where I can buy a bricked or bootlooped phone for cheap? I'd like to have one to experiment with.

Upvote 0
I have been searching the threads at CM forum. A few reported problems such as random re-boots and a few have reported going into a boot loop but they were able to get out of it, but it was not stated how. Might drop the question over there. I have a hard time thinking its a hardware problem though it very well could be. How long have you had the phone? You got a new on now though correct?

Does anyone have a boot lop phone they want to part with or does anyone know where I can buy a bricked or bootlooped phone for cheap? I'd like to have one to experiment with.

Why do you have a hard time believing that it could be hardware related? Several of us are on our 2nd phone because of hardware related issues. Something just goes bad from time to time. Not trying to be confrontational but evo hardware failures happen

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
I don't believe there's a definitive answer as to why the death boot comes about but one things for sure, when it happens it sucks:( And like Mizzou has stated, don't let the death boot hold anyone from flashing custom roms because this issue is not widespread. And like all developers say, what happens to your is your problem. We take the risk of flashing kernels, flashing rom, changing radios knowing that an issue like the death boot can come around. I know I understood the possibility of this happening but the positives far outweigh the negatives that come from having a rooted phone;):D

Upvote 0
Well the only reason I think its not a hardware failure is because in electronics hardware failures just cause things to shut down, not loop. I would think more hardware failure if you turned the phone on and it shut off and stays off as soon as it hits the white screen. First thing on power up is a diagnostic test to make sure hardware components are good, if anyting fails, no matter how small a shut down messages/command is usually sent, not a reboot message/command. So the reason I think its software is because a message/ command is sent and a condition is not being met or the proper response is not gotten and it sends the reboot (otherwise saying try again) So hardware failures, even small ones won't send the try again/reboot message.

Upvote 0
Well the only reason I think its not a hardware failure is because in electronics hardware failures just cause things to shut down, not loop. I would think more hardware failure if you turned the phone on and it shut off and stays off as soon as it hits the white screen. First thing on power up is a diagnostic test to make sure hardware components are good, if anyting fails, no matter how small a shut down messages/command is usually sent, not a reboot message/command. So the reason I think its software is because a message/ command is sent and a condition is not being met or the proper response is not gotten and it sends the reboot (otherwise saying try again) So hardware failures, even small ones won't send the try again/reboot message.
If you have an idea or possible solution you could post it here and then someone with a bootloop of death (as I think we're calling it now ;) ) would probably love to try the fix.

Upvote 0
I wish I did have a solution so no one would have to worry about this. If I had one in the loop I would keep trying whatever I could. The ones that couls reallt work the majic would be the ones that are able to get in in the first place. I'll keep researching. I do hope someone finds a way out of it when flashing and re-flashing there is always that chance that it could happen.

Andy is 100% right. I agree. The death loop or causing some sort of damage os always gonna be there but I to think its worth the risk. I love tinkering, trying new things and troubleshooting. I also think this has been a great discussion.If I find any relevant info this is the first place I will come and share it.

Upvote 0
If you have an idea or possible solution you could post it here and then someone with a bootloop of death (as I think we're calling it now ;) ) would probably love to try the fix.

+1 to this. I'm open for any suggestions but I'm running out of thoughts. I've tried every possible fix or ruu.... and still not a damn thing:(

I wish I did have a solution so no one would have to worry about this. If I had one in the loop I would keep trying whatever I could. The ones that couls reallt work the majic would be the ones that are able to get in in the first place. I'll keep researching. I do hope someone finds a way out of it when flashing and re-flashing there is always that chance that it could happen.

Andy is 100% right. I agree. The death loop or causing some sort of damage os always gonna be there but I to think its worth the risk. I love tinkering, trying new things and troubleshooting. I also think this has been a great discussion.If I find any relevant info this is the first place I will come and share it.

Again, I'm up for any suggestion you may have. Maybe throw out a couple of things but believe me, I've tried everything I can think of and have tried everything that the xda and AF community has suggested.

Upvote 0
How far are you able to get in? to Hboot? The only thing with that would be to just keep trying to update the image. If you have 3 different I would keep going in a patteren 1,2,3, 1,2,3 etc. I wish I was a scripter I would take one of these flashing programs and tweek it to continually flash different images every time it reboots to a certain place, ie hboot if its getting that far. Thing here is your going to have to have multiple different images, that you know are different. It would be like a brute force thing where it just keeps throwing things at the loop,sometimes they can pop that way.
Now if I could get to recovery and to the clean and wipe features. I would wipe, wipe and wipe. I would factory re-set many times and I would wipe more. There is a script that formats system I would run that multipel times and I would run super wipe multiple times. I would do all this before even attempting a flash.

I'd also try some of the old root techniques found here
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Auto Root ~~~ v2.5 (4/25/11)(deprecated) - xda-developers
there is also multiple RUU images. I would find that auto root tool and try it. Cant rewally make things worse since the phone is currently useless.

Upvote 0
i kno im a noob, but what i figured while tryna fix this is that everything can change except the hboot it keep staying at 6.16.1002 no matter what
i ran the latest unroot ruu exe n software version is latest, so everything apparently changes BUT when it comes time to flash a new hboot it skips it, whether a pc36img or thru a exe.
i boot for up to 5or6 min then it catches the damn loop n starts over
ran the battery dead looping n time till reboots varies between 5n10 minutes
THAT is why i think its a software prob, at least on my fon.
i wish i could find the .bin n .scr files n try to use the LGNPST method as mentioned in the optimus m all things root forum
can i be on to something here?
hell, it cant get much past a brick at this stage, eh?

*EDIT*
these files are what are used by LGNPST to unbrick the lg opt m.
there is a .log file but it exceeds the max upload, but what i wonder is if the lg ms690 files could be substituted with the files for the evo 4g?
i mean if this prog unbricks lg's on bootloops or even true bricks, can it be adapted to work for the evo?

most of these files have the same name but different extensions

MS690 . DLL(368kb), _CmdInfo.xml(22kb), _COM22.nvs(324kb),
MS690ZV3_36.S3_36.P3014.tot(326,436kb)
MS690ZV3_36.scr(1kb)
the .bin is named
MS690ZV4_26.BIN (106,127kb)

am i making a book of useless info?

Upvote 0
i kno im a noob, but what i figured while tryna fix this is that everything can change except the hboot it keep staying at 6.16.1002 no matter what
i ran the latest unroot ruu exe n software version is latest, so everything apparently changes BUT when it comes time to flash a new hboot it skips it, whether a pc36img or thru a exe.
i boot for up to 5or6 min then it catches the damn loop n starts over
ran the battery dead looping n time till reboots varies between 5n10 minutes
THAT is why i think its a software prob, at least on my fon.
i wish i could find the. bin n. src files n try to use the LGNPST method as mentioned in the optimus m all things root forum
can i be on to something here?
hell, it cant get much past a brick at this stage, eh?

Whether you're on to something or not, keep trying! You may be the one to find the solution to the notorious bootloop of death (or whatever we're calling it)!

Do you have any idea how many "thank you's" you'd get?! :eek::eek::p:D

Upvote 0
*EDIT*
these files are what are used by LGNPST to unbrick the lg opt m.
there is a .log file but it exceeds the max upload, but what i wonder is if the lg ms690 files could be substituted with the files for the evo 4g?
i mean if this prog unbricks lg's on bootloops or even true bricks, can it be adapted to work for the evo?

most of these files have the same name but different extensions

MS690 . DLL(368kb), _CmdInfo.xml(22kb), _COM22.nvs(324kb),
MS690ZV3_36.S3_36.P3014.tot(326,436kb)
MS690ZV3_36.scr(1kb)
the .bin is named
MS690ZV4_26.BIN (106,127kb)

am i making a book of useless info?
I'm actually thinking that's not half a bad idea (a complement - really ;) ).
Re-working the LG program to be useful on the EVO (htc) would probably take some work as I would bet money the use different bootloaders and the sort (which is where it *seems* like the problem *could* be).

I'm not sure how to do this (i'm sure the phone would need to be mounted in some way (which I have no knowledge of)), but I would assume from my nandroids that the bootloader is what is stored in BOOT.img in the nandroid?
Well, what if you just
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/nandroid/path/BOOT.IMG of=/???WHERE???

I'm not sure where BOOT.img comes from, but if that is the problem (which it might not even be close, hell, the bootloader probably isn't that file anyway...)... but if it is, then I would assume that that dd would fix it (soft of).

/late night random thought....

Upvote 0
well, if anything, the evo i have can mount in fastboot, but im thinking that it mounts differently than normal un-bootloop of death'd evos when in hboot usb.
BECAUSE, when i hook up a good evo in hboot usb, it reads fine, but when the brick hooks up, android adaptor 1.0 pops up n nothing- took me a while to find drivers that actually work while bricked n in hboot, but now i can read da fon

either way, ima post da log file thats generated in lgnpst for my lg cuz maybe you guys who actually kno this stuff might be able to figure something out.

its not that im s l o w, its just that im not familiar. i took a 4yr state sponsored vacation n got WWWAAAYYYYYY behind.

oh, n on a side/personal note, not all ex-cons actually did their crimes, circumstances such as shitty public defenders n no $$ 4 a real lawyer are why many of us ex-cons got our times.
i had a lawyer literally tell me to hurry up and take a plea cuz he was going on vacation the following week n that i wouldnt get less than 10 yrs...
why do this matter? cuz many ppl turn their noses up at the unfortunate ones who made bad mistakes in the past and think that ex cons only fukup, etc.

sorry 4da rant, but just want da community 2kno that if this does/can be made to work, it was an ex-con working in a ghetto-ass auto repair shop who came up with the idea...

here's the dropbox link n please dont try n clone my fon:D(got bad credit too lol)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44711087/MS690Log_COM22.log

Upvote 0
well, if anything, the evo i have can mount in fastboot, but im thinking that it mounts differently than normal un-bootloop of death'd evos when in hboot usb.
BECAUSE, when i hook up a good evo in hboot usb, it reads fine, but when the brick hooks up, android adaptor 1.0 pops up n nothing- took me a while to find drivers that actually work while bricked n in hboot, but now i can read da fon

either way, ima post da log file thats generated in lgnpst for my lg cuz maybe you guys who actually kno this stuff might be able to figure something out.

its not that im s l o w, its just that im not familiar. i took a 4yr state sponsored vacation n got WWWAAAYYYYYY behind.

oh, n on a side/personal note, not all ex-cons actually did their crimes, circumstances such as shitty public defenders n no $$ 4 a real lawyer are why many of us ex-cons got our times.
i had a lawyer literally tell me to hurry up and take a plea cuz he was going on vacation the following week n that i wouldnt get less than 10 yrs...
why do this matter? cuz many ppl turn their noses up at the unfortunate ones who made bad mistakes in the past and think that ex cons only fukup, etc.

sorry 4da rant, but just want da community 2kno that if this does/can be made to work, it was an ex-con working in a ghetto-ass auto repair shop who came up with the idea...

here's the dropbox link n please dont try n clone my fon:D(got bad credit too lol)

Dood, no prejudices here! :D I don't care what you did in the past, only care what you do in the future. ;)

I tell my little brother all the time: Dood make sure your windshield is bigger than your rear view mirror!

You contribute to the community and dont don't look down at others for not knowing, you're cool in my book! :):D

Upvote 0
Nu2,

You got some good Ideas and those ideas show you got some brains. You have made some progress with the loop, keep it up and I think ya just might get it.
Your not the only one with an X on there back in here. I am doing some catching up myself. Keep your chin up and put the past in the past. They can't give back time and they sure as hell hate to admit they were wrong let alone pay for it. Again just keep you chip up and keep lookin and movin forward. Put those brains to use and figure out how to unloop these phones!!!

Upvote 0
Cool cool, I'll try to take a look at that sometime (not that I really know anything about it lol ;), but extra eyes right? -maybe over the holiday break?)
:::long post is hidden:::
Hmm.. I'm almost thinking that it won't be the 'normal' method of mounting, the way I see it, a working phone can mount the SD card, and/or /system.
I really am thinking that if the issue is software (which I would think it *has* to be if CM is *really* causing it [seems to be... but coincidence?]), then it is probably the bootloader itself that becomes corrupt.

Kinda like when you flash the BIOS on your PC. How if your power goes out your SOL (from what I've heard *knock on wood* hasn't happened to me).
[[ kind of like how when you flash radios ]]

So, my question is *how* does that work? Anyone know? I would think that the issue would be a) mount the bootloader and b) flash/write to it with a clean/working hboot.

And I'm still thinking that dd would be able to do the writing if anyone could figure out how to mount the damn thing right.
--------
Here's my train of thought, if you are backing up a HDD, you could use dd to copy bit for bit the data to another drive. You could then write that to a new drive. I'm thinking there has to be a way to copy the *entire* phone (radios, and bootloader included), and then we could write that back to a BoD (bootloop of death ;)) phone.

Well, anyone have any ideas on that? I realize this post has gotten away from me and I'll be hiding it for obvious space issues.

Also nu2, gotta remember, the past is just that (past). :) Keep positive.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
so what resources would one need in order to do as i suggested? im guessing the .log file would tell you what gets changed n how, right? then the aforementioned files but for da evo n a way to alter the programming if applicable? i mean am i on da right track with deez thoughts?
then comes the hard part: actually DOING the thang n i presently have no clue as to how

Upvote 0
If the files and scripts are for another phone then you'd have to port them somehow. I wish I knew that side of things(programing). Keep looking around. I know the ones like Mik and those at cyanogen make there stuff work alot of different equipment. I have also seen some beginner guides to developement. If I run across them again I'll get a link for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones