Most Recommended / Vanilla ROM?

Last Updated:

1. s1njin

s1njin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a recommendation for a 'relatively straight forward' ROM that's not over the top but provides for the overclock while active/under clock while sleeping?

I am considering rooting, but that's only the tip of the iceburg. Picking a decent ROM is next - and I really don't want to grab anything hairy.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Ask 10 people and you will get 12 opinions. As a veteran of the ROM wars, you really can't go wrong with Bugless Beast or if you are a little more adventurous CyanogenMod. Both have extensive threads in this forum. The kernel will determine your overclocking and the program SETCPU will help manage different speeds for different situations (ie: sleeping).

Update: just read OMJ's reply and I agree with his option but warning: after rooting will WILL want to up the ante and do more (flash fever).

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

To be completely honest, from the perspective of a basic user, none of the ROMs really change too much. The most you will notice is the way it looks (if you get a Themed ROM). But as far as functionality goes, a lot of it is in the scripts, the kernal and the home application you choose.

5. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

My favorite ROM is the stock (but rooted) 2.1 ESE81 that Pete released a couple of months ago.

As far as I can tell based on my wife's completely stock Droid, this is exactly the same thing she received with the 2.1 OTA update with the exception of having root access.

I consider my Droid pretty much perfect now... I've removed apps I never use (AmazonMP3, Corporate Calendar, the non-Gmail email app, etc.). I have ROM Manager, ClockworkMod Recovery, SetCPU, P3Droid's 800MHz low voltage kernel and the LauncherPro home replacement that is insanely fast even without overclocking.

Oh, and Google Voice works perfectly! :D

The next think I'm obviously looking forward to is a stock 2.2 with root. I may not even overclock with that.

6. s1njin

So I can find the threads about how to ROOT. I have a vague idea of how to flash a ROM. But if all I really want is more juice wake/less juice sleep am I really only after a kernal update?

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

check the second link I provided

8. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

The best way to hide a thread from a noob is to make it a sticky :rolleyes:

9. s1njin

C'mon guys I read the sticky - its just some things aren't obvious until your into the process.

I'm the type of guy that doesn't even take a dump w/o a good backup plan or angle of attack. :eek:

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

well ask away about what you have questions about. The guide I linked is the best written guide that I have seen for rooting 2.1. There is also a video in that same thread in the second post.

As far as taking a dump what is your backup plan? Do you wear depends?

11. s1njin

No. But I always pick the middle stall so I can redeploy to one adjacent to me should there be a plumbing or TP issue !!! :D

12. s1njin

Will the Kernels posted for Bugless Beast work for rooted stock OTA?

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/85855-rom-bugless-beast-v1-1-a.html

I see he writes this: For those who choose to ignore my instructions to only use the kernels I provide: I put in some extra work for you so that you will no longer loose out on all the features as you did with V1.0 when flashing different kernels.

I'm unsure if its accepted practice to use one of these w/ rooted stock OTA.

Thanks !

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Im not sure what all pete modified in those kernels so I cant answer that. But I can point you towards some kernels that will work.

P3droid's Kernels will work with any rom
    P3Droid Kernels

ChevyNo1's also work with any rom. Just click the kernels folder they are all there
    4shared - free file sharing and storage - share folder - 3.2

s1njin likes this.
  14. s1njin

Oh, one more thing I guess. Will a 2.1 rooted system with only a Kernel mod intefere w/ the supposed 2.2 OTA update of Froyo? Or is this something that falls under 'Wait and find out'?

Thanks for all your help fellas.

15. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you would have to go back to unrooted stock(Not difficult) then get the 2.2 OTA. Although there will 2.2 roms out long long before the OTA so if you stay rooted you can have 2.2 much sooner.

16. s1njin

Would the first link work w/ the standard recovery mechanism or would I need to first put the SPRecovery on my droid before I can load this in?

If I CAN use standard recovery here to get this, can I also use standard recovery to apply one of the faster kernels on top of this as well?

17. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you cant do anything with the stock recovery except OTA updates. You need a custom recovery to change roms or kernels

18. s1njin

Okay, cool.

So I need the custom recovery to load any ROM that is not OTA (even if its essentially the OTA ROM w/ root ala the vanilla build you mentioned). I also need it to load custom kernels.

Do you need Root to load a custom kernel assuming you have the custom recovery installed?

Just trying to keep it simple as I'm within my 30 days and don't want to be hassled w/ a return if required. If something went amok and I tried this: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html, could I then go to System Update on the phone and pull the OTA 2.1 down? Would that essentially be the master reset that puts everything like it was just out of the box?

As always thanks for the guidance.

19. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Rooting and a custom recovery go hand in hand. If you load a custom kernel you still need root to set the clock speed.

The process you described would get your phone back to stock so vzw couldnt tell you ever rooted

20. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

So when you walk into the bathroom, does the theme to Mission: Impossible play?

21. s1njin

Hahahahahahaha. That depends if is full of executives or not ...