Most stable performance ROM for Galaxy S3

1. Stavrouski

Stavrouski New Member

Anyone can help me with this? I've bee trawling the internet to find a good STABLE ROM for my S3, even if the stability comes at the cost of having less feautures etc. I mainly want it to sport good performance, as most custom ROMS should, but I can't stress enough how stable I need it to be.

I usually a big fan of Beta testing, and testing unstable software etc, but this phone is my life, and I do most of my work from it, so stability is a MUST.
    Kind of new to this as well, so don't be harsh :)

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Which version of the SGS3 do you have?
  3. Stavrouski

Stavrouski New Member

Apologies - It's the GT-i9300
    Its the one in the UK, not locked to any network.
  4. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Moved to a better place!
  5. Stavrouski

Stavrouski New Member

Ah thanks :D
    and BUMP
  6. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

I've only tried the one rom, which is Checkrom so I don't have a lot to compare it to. However, it is stable, very similar to stock with all the crap removed, and a nice little app included which allows you to re-download/mod/theme the rom accordingly. I think it's a good starting point.. But as I said, it's the only one I've tried so far :p
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Can't think of any ics stock (touchwiz) based roms that are not stable. Not tried jelly bean yet
  8. Jon_LTD

I think I'm putting cm10 on tomorrow. Still a bit unsure due to bugs and jb is just round the corner. I guess a taste won't hurt ;)
  9. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

why not go for an ICS based AOSP//AOKP then?
  10. Jon_LTD

They're not CyanogenMod 10 :p
  11. kryzzay83

kryzzay83 Well-Known Member

You can now get the official Jelly bean Rom. It's fast and completely stable as long as you do a factory reset.
  12. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

I've seen the reviews of jb and project butters smoothness and responsiveness. But how does jb compare to stock ics in battery life?
  13. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide

On the test builds of JB (from the last few weeks) the battery life was terrible, I was probably getting 8-10 hours on a charge. I am going to try the latest build tonight or tomorrow so I can report back soon and see if it's better.
  14. SUroot

I've not really noticed any difference in battery. MediaScanner service is a bit of a drain though so disabled that
  15. rabben

rabben Well-Known Member

What does mediascanner actually do? Is it safe do remove? I have been using wanamlite's latest JB rom, and its smooth and battery friendly, but noticed that mediascanner is a bigg battery user.

Edit:Sorry, I meant mediaserver! It has used 25 % in 14 hours. Been using poweramp all day though.
  16. SUroot

Yeah if I use poweramp that happens. Always has
  17. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

This reported poor battery life of jb is what's holding me back from upgrading.

I can get 6 hours and change of screen on time with wifi. I heard you get half of that or so on jb.
  18. CDPlant

I'm currently on 17 hours of battery with 2 hours of screen time, and I'm on 65% so not too bad (this is on JB)
  19. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

That's actually quite good. That would theoretically give you six hours screen on time which is what I get on ics.
    Is this stock or custom?
  20. CDPlant

That is the Omega custom rom, which is pretty close to what the stock JB rom is like. I tried different kernel yesterday and it's improved slightly but not by a huge amount
  21. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

I'm on stock ics with Siyah kernel 1.5.2. I have everything I want except for the laggy messenger and dialer.
    Have you underclocked or uv'ed your phone?
    Have you tested your total screen on time for one full charge?