• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Most stable root method for 12b

So after like 3 hours of trying to root, it finally worked for me...

What worked for me was to remove supersu and framaroot which were installed from all my previous attempts. Then I rebooted my phone and with ptp enabled I used kingo and nothing else and it worked.

Kingo rooted and installed supersu on my phone successfully by itself. So you can skip all other steps in the guide and go straight for kingo.

Warning if you're on 12b rooted make sure to not brick because you might not be able to root 12b again.

And as always, LG can kiss my arse! :p:smokingsomb:

[It seems as if this thread is suffering from "split personality"]

I have root on 10i. I want to do a system update [to 12b?] and maintain/restore root. Is "Kingo" the preference here? And, does it have it's own thread?

Upvote 0
[It seems as if this thread is suffering from "split personality"]

I have root on 10i. I want to do a system update [to 12b?] and maintain/restore root. Is "Kingo" the preference here? And, does it have it's own thread?

Just install this OTA Rootkeeper make a root backup, temporarily unroot, update to 12b and restore root through ota rootkeeper. This seems to work for the people struggling with kingo ;)

Upvote 0
Just install this OTA Rootkeeper make a root backup, temporarily unroot, update to 12b and restore root through ota rootkeeper. This seems to work for the people struggling with kingo ;)

1. Root backup
2. Temp Unroot
3. About Phone>System Update: This seemed to find an update and rebooted my phone. But, Software Information reports "MS50010i". It seems as if the update did not work. Or, did not update to 12b. Or, did something else entirely?

I originally clicked on a prompt to "System Update" [to get to 12b ]. [This was really quite annoying and repeatedly came up] And, this looked very different from this last update. I did this in order to root.

Is there another way to get to 12b. Maybe using a KDZ for 12b? I would rather not do that again if possible? [If U noticed, I has asked you why requested the KDZ for 12b in another thread?]

EDIT: Despite using Rootkeeper, Root Checker Pro reports both root and busybox R good. So, either RootKeeper did not work? Or, the update somehow did something? And, when I open RootKeeper, the two options are Delete SU backup and Temp. Un-root?

EDIT2: I clicked on "Temp Un-Root" again. Now, Root Checker Pro reports no root, but Busybox is OK. Maybe I need a way to induce an update to 12b? Or, somehow use a 12b KDZ?

Upvote 0
1. Root backup
2. Temp Unroot
3. About Phone>System Update: This seemed to find an update and rebooted my phone. But, Software Information reports "MS50010i". It seems as if the update did not work. Or, did not update to 12b. Or, did something else entirely?

You can try this next method if you're on 10i rooted. Beyond that I can't help you with root cause I used a method that only worked for me and like 3 other people.

http://androidforums.com/metropcs-o...9-wip-rom-flashable-rooted-12b-stock-rom.html

;)

Upvote 0
"Voodoo OTA RootKeeper" displays "Delete su backup" and "Temp. un-root" buttons. Does this seem strange? It seems to indicate to me that it did the backup, but did not actually "un-root"?

EDIT: I clicked on "Temp Un-Root" again. Now, Root Checker Pro reports no root, but Busybox is OK. Maybe I need a way to induce an update to 12b? Or, somehow use a 12b KDZ?

Upvote 0
So I just got this phone and I have literally been trying for like 6 hours to root this thing, but it's not working. I bought this phone 2 days ago and it has been on 12b since I got it. Never saw 10i. At any rate when I attempt to go back to 10i using the method in the op, I keep getting this log.

[R&D Test Tools Log File]

10:39:23 : Launching SW update
10:39:23 : Unpacking KDZ
10:39:42 : KDZ file extraced
10:40:24 : Files were extracted.
10:40:24 : LGMobileDL Load.
10:40:24 : Port = -1
10:40:24 : Connecting to phone
10:40:39 : Check Phone mode = 2
10:40:39 : Phone type check.......
10:40:41 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
10:40:41 : _SetAuthMark Fail
10:40:42 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
10:40:42 : LoadLibrary Error(126)
10:40:44 : ===FINISHED===
I have tried everything. Redownloading both the KDZ and the tool itself. I have tried every version of the mobile driver I could find on the internet. Im lost and Im frustrated, any ideas at all would really help.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I finally got my phone back to 10i and successfully rooted. I was having trouble with the KDZ tool every time. (Refer to above post) So went to LG's website and downloaded another copy of the newest driver they had (v 3.1.0.1) and downloaded a different copy of the 10i KDZ itself from the following link:

http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW857785432109876543213/MS50010i_00.kdz

As you can see, this one came from LG directly as well. There was an ever so slight difference in file size from this new KDZ and the original one I downloaded from this OP. This time it went right through, no errors, no protest. So I don't know if the link in the OP is privately hosted or if it links the above address, but I think that was the problem with mine. Got it now, so I hope this helps all of you that are having problems reverting back to 10i like I did.

Upvote 0
Well, do you see the little list of check marks under Status? Before you hit the protect root button the last box that says "Protected su copy available" is not checked. After you hit the protect root button, the last box should be checked. This means that it did its thing and you can hit the temporary unroot button. I just blew through and didnt hit the unroot button then took the update. When it rebooted, I was stuck in CWM. I even tried restoring the backup I had made. No go. I used the LG Mobile Support Tool with my phone in download mode and went to options at the top and hit Recovery Update. It downloaded a new copy of 12b and restored it. Without root of course, but I just went back to 10i and re-rooted.

Upvote 0
Well, do you see the little list of check marks under Status? Before you hit the protect root button the last box that says "Protected su copy available" is not checked. After you hit the protect root button, the last box should be checked. This means that it did its thing and you can hit the temporary unroot button. I just blew through and didnt hit the unroot button then took the update. When it rebooted, I was stuck in CWM. I even tried restoring the backup I had made. No go. I used the LG Mobile Support Tool with my phone in download mode and went to options at the top and hit Recovery Update. It downloaded a new copy of 12b and restored it. Without root of course, but I just went back to 10i and re-rooted.

I think this addresses my issue [and probably a lot of other folks too]. If you have updated to 12b, found out you need 10i in order to root, reverted back to 10i somehow, rooted, and now can't get a system update like the one you first got for 12b.

So, you got a KDZ copy of 12b and used that instead? My point is that if this works then afterwards you can restore root using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper?

Upvote 0
I dont know if it was a KDZ, I did it in the LG Mobile Support Tool. It just says downloading update and installs it. It doesn't give anymore info. Now as a foot note, DO NOT TAKE THE 12B UPDATE IF YOU HAVE CWM RECOVERY EVEN IF YOU USED OTA ROOTKEEPER. I tried it and now am stuck in the glorious recovery loop. I am going to use the LG Tool to recover the unrooted 12b and then go back to 10i again......

Upvote 0
I do not want to pay that price, so if cannot have CMW recovery or other nandroid then will stik on "i", "Sdcard Memory Hack" and everything works perfect and there are not real advantages from i to 12b...

You read my mind, I just used the OTA Rootkeeper app on a rooted 10i, making sure to temporarily unroot and then took the updated. Again I got the recovery loop..... :( So, I think I am just going to stay with the 10i and root. The LGMST has now saved my phone twice..... Kudos to LG. Now if only you put as much effort into your UI as you apparently do toward denying your customers root access, you could topple the giant that is Samsung.

PS. In the F6Utilities2 app there is an option to restore the stock recovery, if I do this after I gain root and make a backup, I THINK it will go through with the update.

Upvote 0
its kinda confusing the instructions you put down could you work on simplifying it for those who don't fully understand
s
I was actually thinking of sitting down and writing a definitive guide, step by step, or perhaps a video, or both since I have gotten this thing solved. Mine is running 12b with root absolutely flawlessly. Thanks to everyone who helped and I'll make a guide to show everyone who isn't there yet how to get it there. It'll be my first guide tho, so cut me some slack.

Upvote 0
s
I was actually thinking of sitting down and writing a definitive guide, step by step, or perhaps a video, or both since I have gotten this thing solved. Mine is running 12b with root absolutely flawlessly. Thanks to everyone who helped and I'll make a guide to show everyone who isn't there yet how to get it there. It'll be my first guide tho, so cut me some slack.
Which method did you use to get rooted 12b?

Upvote 0

I tried this, but could not get the phone to present the 12b update [again].
I did this: http://androidforums.com/metropcs-optimus-f6-all-things-root/843494-guide-using-kdz-get-back-ms50010i-firmware.html#post6537086, but used the KDZ for 12b instead of 10i.
However, after this process there was no backup when I ran Rootkeeper? Would it help to "Wipe Data" with Rootkeeper and move the app to External SD and see if this protects the backup?
So, I'm stuck where I started at 12b with no root??

Someone must have had this problem with getting the 12b update after going through this process??

EDIT: I repeated the process to back to 10i, rooted, rootkeeper, got the system update prompt, updated, rootkeeper, rooted 12b this time. No idea why it worked this time...

Upvote 0
I have sucessfully rooted many android phones in my day, though I spent the last two years on an Iphone now i'm back to android. THOUGH I can't for whatever reason find a root that works with this blasted phone... Though the game has seemingly changed, can anyone please give me advice i saw the other forum's but i was just left with the same question since i guess i did them wrong.

Upvote 0
the way i rooted my 12b was kinda funky... the kingo root didn't do crap for me so i tried to use the "[WIP][ROM] Flashable Rooted 12B Stock Rom"... it was so buggy i just kdz'd back to 10i, rerooted and used voodoo root keeper. i tried to use voodoo in the first place but i discovered you had to do a factory reset to the phone "first" then reroot then use voodoo rootkeeper. (i was hoping i wouldn't have to reset. but oh well)

In short:
1. KDZ to stock 10i (to wipe all signs of root)
2. ReRoot 10i
3. Download and use voodoo root keeper to back up and temp unroot
4. OTA update
5. Restore Root in Voodoo
6. Go NuTz

I've also done this to my brothers phone right after i figured out the steps.
so the above steps i KNOW for a fact work 100%... you just have to reset the phone to 10i. even if you are already on it you have to start again from a fresh unrooted phone

Reactions: dncspencer30
Upvote 0
okay so by doing the factory reset, it goes back to 10i ? because i have no root to my phone at all since NONE of them would pick up my phone, and then get voodoo root keeper from the play store i take it or do i dl on my computer? ( there were never programs like this ) I had a back up phone while i had my iphone but it has super user on it and that was new to me lmao its been a loooong time i'm sorry...

The true reasson behind this is to get the sd card to work period, since it wont allow anything to go on to it not even my pictures it wont let me format nothing it's driving me nuts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones